Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up. If you like it, please share it and forward to a friend.
- Call to trial gunfire detection systems at 'soft targets' in London
- A Second World War air raid shelter under Soho Square has been put on the market for £175,000
- The future of Bromley Museum is unclear
- 'Christian patrols' have been restarted in London by a far-right group
- Could we lose some of our night bus services when the tube goes 24 hours?
- Bounce off. The world's longest trampoline idea has fallen flat
- New bosses at National Theatre unveil plays for 2015
- London commuters face a series of walkouts on the Woolwich Ferry, DLR and tube. Joy
- Work to create a new nature reserve in Stoke Newington begins next month
- Sad news: Centre Point's Koreatown has been wiped out by Crossrail
- A friendly reminder that the general election is coming. Please make sure you're registered to vote
- We revelled in Blue Monday with a series of gloomy London songs (how else to react to a bogus marketing stunt?)
- More Google Street View curiosities: faces on pub signs and adverts get blurred too
- On the hunt for odd, dead animals in London? Of course you are!
- Vicars, farmers and an ancestor of James Bond: people who got their names on the tube map
- Where to find, feed, enjoy and... eat squirrels in London
- Video: hear from the artists behind a new political exhibition in Westminster Hall
- We've been itching to tell you about the thousands of mosquitoes living underground in Bloomsbury
- Our guide to spoken word nights in London
- How to eat, drink and smoke like Churchill — if you are so inclined
- Watch our beginner's guide to attending an art fair
- In the first of a new series we present a short film that features London from up-and-coming filmmakers
- Yes, we play with stickers. Yes, we're adults. Yes, it's still fun
- Best new food shops: HG Walter in Barons Court
- New restaurant Pedler could be the best of the Peckham bunch ★★★★☆
- The Guildhall Art Gallery has reopened following its first major rehang in 15 years ★★★★☆
- Disorientating and atmospheric with a cyber-punk setup: Light at Barbican Centre ★★★☆☆
- Royal Academy successfully captures Peter Paul Rubens’s legacy in this blockbuster show ★★★★☆
- In our latest vegetarian review, we try the udon at Den ★★★☆☆
- Josie Long fans will enjoy her latest show, sceptics may not be persuaded ★★★☆☆
- The Changeling finds an ambient, thrilling home at Sam Wanamaker Playhouse ★★★☆☆
- Jews behaving badly at St James Theatre ★★★★☆
Things to do
- If you can get to St James's palace for 11am today, you'll catch a procession commemorating a royal execution
- Bars you shouldn't miss if you're up for a cocktail crawl around Brixton
- Is curling up with a good book your idea of a great thing to do? Here are our recommendations this month
- Videos illustrating important moments from Parliament's history are now playing on tube platforms
- On 30 January a river procession will mark the 50th anniversary of Churchill's funeral
- Renting in London is no fun, so get together with Generation Rent to talk about it
- Nothing says "I love you" like anatomical whisky tasting. Right?
- See a big band in a tiny venue and help change the world this February
- London Beer Week, it's a thing, and it's coming soon
- Tickets are now on sale to see Meghan Tailor at Shepherd’s Bush Empire in April. If you really want to
- Or snap up tickets to see Bradley Cooper in The Elephant Man, on stage from May
Want to try something new? Join The Dowsing Sound Collective
Looking for a new music opportunity? Join The Dowsing Sound Collective — they're recruiting both amateur and experienced singers in three London locations. Described as a "harmonic phenomenon bursting onto the scenes like a firecracker", The DSC sources awesome music by leading artists, and gives an exciting new lease of life to every track. Since starting in 2010, The DSC has collaborated with bands and artists including Basement Jaxx, Boo Hewerdine, Megson and Dirty Freud. Click here to apply.
This week's Best of Londonist is sponsored by The Dowsing Sound Collective.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.