Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up. If you like it, please share it and forward to a friend.
- New survey shows that 60% of Londoners are in favour of rent control
- Cross Bones Graveyard is finally getting a public memorial garden
- City Hall put £220m into helping Londoners own homes through shared ownership schemes
- Croydon University Hospital declared an “internal major incident” due to pressure on its A&E department
- Stage and screen actor Kan Bonfils died earlier this week during London play rehearsals
- Did you get caught up in commuter misery at London Bridge?
- An impromptu vigil in Trafalgar Square saw Londoners declare Je Suis Charlie
- London skewers the competition at this year's British Kebab Awards
- Could Peckham be the site for London's version of the High Line?
- Sandycombe Lodge in Twickenham receives £1.4m Heritage Lottery Fund grant
- Eight restaurants destined to be big players on the London scene this year
- If you have a spare £250k, would you prefer a private island or a one-bed flat in Penge?
- Where to see paintings by Rubens in London
- Some sneaky tips from us on how to get a guaranteed seat on the tube
- To drone or not to drone: the dos and don'ts of using a drone in London
- Mapped: Barbican before the Blitz
- Who is Christian Goldman? and other London graffiti slogans (mostly) explained
- Fitzrovia, South Bank and Chinatown didn't exist 70 years ago - our map of the capital's changing names
- Ahoy coeliacs - enjoy a gluten-free beer at one of these London pubs
- Sit down and enjoy our compilation of the funniest things tube drivers say (as told by you, Londonist readers)
- Here's a guide to Hitchcock's London
- We think these are the best theatres for children in London
- Learn about London's bridges with our animated timeline
- Ramsay's new Heddon Street Kitchen is ok, but that's about it ★★★☆☆
- Cirque du Soleil's Kooza is a doozy of a show ★★★★☆
- Tree at The Old Vic is meaty, funny and altogether excellent. It was worth every penny ★★★★★
- Intimate and full of pathos, The Grand Tour at Finborough Theatre is a lost gem ★★★★☆
Things to do
- You'd better grab your headphones and get going if you want to catch the UK's first podcast festival today
- If you're still not rid of your Christmas tree, here's where you can recycle them
- Feeling the pinch this January? Here are 20 great meals out for under £20
- You can now reserve tickets for the Walkie Talkie Sky Garden, open from 12 January
- Imagine ice hockey without skates, and you've got Broomball
- Wrap up warm and explore a wintry Kew Gardens this month for just £9.50
- Enjoy eight nights of music from some of the UK’s rising stars at New Blood Festival
- A trilogy of oddness comes to Soho Theatre this week, with Doctor Brown
- The World Championship of Ping Pong is coming to Alexandra Palace
- Over 500 shows in Waterloo's tunnels, for the annual Vault Festival
- Ideas for places to take your littl'uns this February half term
- Flip pancakes to raise funds for London’s Air Ambulance on 17 February
- NEW: Films not to miss in January
Find us on Instagram!
Love a #hashtag? So do we, which is why we joined Instagram a couple of months ago (stylishly late to the party, we know). Come join us — we’re at @londonist_com, and we’ll be sharing our snaps of the streets of London. Tag us if you’ve got a corker of a pic that you want us to share. Be gentle with us though — we’re still new to this!