Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up — this week sponsored by Covent Garden. Scroll down for information on Covent Garden's After Hours events in July.
- An ode to Old Street roundabout
- Opinion: Why the BP Portrait Award needs to be shaken up.
- Next time your train's cancelled, pass the time at one of the best places to eat and drink in Euston.
- We are IN AWE of the London Library. Can we just move in please?
- Ever heard of Tyburnia, Placentia or Biscuit Town? They're London neighbourhoods that no longer exist.
- A Klingon map of London.
- What London has learnt, post-Brexit.
- Why London should not be an independent city state.
- How do Polish people living in London feel about Brexit?
- Now Boris has ruled himself out for the top job, we've got some suggestions for what he could do next.
- How will Brexit affect London's rental market?
- A Frenchman's advice for post-Brexit European tourists in London.
- What'll happen to David Cameron's waxwork at Madame Tussaud's once he leaves Number 10?
Article continues below this sponsor message.
This is a sponsored message on behalf of Covent Garden.
Shop late at Covent Garden this July
Head to Covent Garden for late night shopping this month, as stores in the area stay open until 9pm on Wednesdays through Saturdays throughout July for Covent Garden After Hours.
Special events take place on Thursdays, with live music, art, fashion and beauty, and street food from Frenchie, Balthazar Boulangerie and LIMA Floral. There's a gin bar from Portobello Road Gin, and brand offers from the likes of Charlotte Tilbury, Hackett, Karen Millen and Kate Spade.
On Wednesday, live artworks will be created in the Piazza by artist Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, and on Thursday the Beauty Spot takes over, with make-up masterclasses and brand offers.
On 14 July, acoustic music performances come to the piazza, and it's all about men's fashion on 21 July. The final Thursday event, on 28 July, features a curated gallery of photos of London at dusk.
For more information on After Hours, visit the Covent Garden website #CGAfterHours.
Did you know...?
- ...that contactless is sometimes cheaper than Oyster when paying for travel? Let us explain.
- ...how Chelsea's King's Road got its name?
- ...about Claridge's' humble beginnings?
- ...how many bus stops there are in London?
- ...that there's an industrial estate in south London named after Gandhi?
- ...which is London's oldest bus route?
- ...why King's Cross and St Pancras stations are so close together.
Things to do
- Join Londonist for a night down the pub, with some short talks about this wonderful city.
- A floating rainbow meringue afternoon tea is happening on the Thames.
- Tough week? 60 gins might help it go away.
- Get fit without setting foot in a gym this month.
- Get your gob round an ice cream cone made from doughnut dough.
- Where to feed your Roald Dahl obsession in London.
- REVIEW: David Hockney should stick to landscapes — his portraits are awful ★☆☆☆☆
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.