Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up.
- YouGov poll finds London Mayor Boris Johnson is favourite for Conservative party leadership
- Street artist Above painted 46 shop shutters in 48 hours last weekend at Chrisp Street market
- Resevoir network in Walthamstow set to become the largest urban wetland in northern Europe
- Update on contactless: we shed a bit more light on the new payment system
- We got our tiny violin out of storage for Mark Simmonds, the MP who flounced out of Parliament over housing costs
- Jabberwocky festival was cancelled this week — we look at the possible reasons why
- Heavy-handed security at the South Bank's Shell building prompts photographer's appeal
- Money allocated to affordable housing is not being spent
- It's scrub-a-dub-dub o'clock as Big Ben (no, pedants, don't comment) gets its faces washed next week
- Looking for a good London pub? Of course you are! Check our lovingly-created pubs database (we're constantly adding to it so feel free to send over your suggestions)
- In pictures: Sculpture in the City 2014
- More of a dabbler than a dribbler? Five London football teams to watch on the cheap
- Top tube geek Geoff Marshall is back with a Secrets of the DLR Line video
- Where to find Antony Gormley sculptures in London
- Who's afraid of the big, bad landlord? A guide to the sanctions rogue landlords could face
- Where was the site of London's first ever telephone call?
- A knot of snakes, ostentations of peacocks and a bed of scorpions — London's non-native animals
- Did you know Victoria Station has a beach? Find out where, plus the location of Sparrow's Corner and other odd features in The secret bits of Victoria station
Best pubs in London
We’re building a new website of the best pubs in London (mostly as voted for by Londonist readers). We still have a few areas to explore, but do take a look through the guide so far, and let us know about any scandalous omissions. New additions this week are: The Bull in Spitalfields and The Crown in Greenwich. Plus, find out which pubs in Victoria Park were selected by Londonist readers for entry into the database.
- Part anthem for doomed youth, part ribald comedy: My Night With Reg at Donmar Warehouse
- Latest V&A display, Rapid Response Collecting, exhibits items that have recently made the news
- What does the Science Museum throw out? New exhibition shows us its rubbish
- The Immortal Hour at Finborough Theatre is intimate, but perhaps not best suited to beginners
- The art and science of Captain Cook's explorations at the Queen’s House, Royal Museums Greenwich
- Intimate action at OperaUpClose's La Traviata at Soho Theatre
- Dogfight at Southwark Playhouse is weird, ugly, corny, and all the better for it
Things to do
- Enter the ballot, enter the Fire Garden. Battersea Power Station set to make a fiery transformation next month
- Last chance to grab yourself a Londonist goodie with our summer clearance sale
- Is there a London garden that makes you smile? If so, nominate it for an award. Speaking of which... anyone seen this knitted garden?
- This month: dance films on show at BFI
- Outdoor Edwardian films at Horniman Museum start this week. Or do you prefer a good ol' frightfest?
- Do good in London and join Maggie's Culture Crawl. Or if you feel brave, take a dip in the docks with the Great London Swim
- New street food festival comes to Elephant and Castle from 22 August
- Water-based puns aplenty, as we look forward to next month's Totally Thames festival
- What to see at Hampstead and Highgate Literary Festival next month
- 10 things to see at Open House 2014 this year
Have You Tried …
…Wingit? If you want even more ideas on things to do in London then this new app should be able to help. Using an algorithm to scan social networks, Wingit checks your location and promises to find great London events happening near you in real-time. From performances to pop-ups, screenings to street art, download the free app today to see what’s going on just round the corner.
This week’s Things To Do In London is sponsored by Wingit.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.