Londonist is a website about London and everything that happens in it.
That means news, reviews and events; the history and future of London. We provide everything you need to know about the capital, as well as celebrating the quirks, eccentricities, hidden and surprising bits that make up the alternative side of the city. Upbeat and eclectic, Londonist is created by a diverse team of contributors who share a passion for London. We’re a bunch of London obsessives who live the city and share our best discoveries.
Masthead: Editors: Lindsey Clarke & Matt Brown.
Contact any of us: hello (at) londonist dot com.
For advertising, see here.
Site designed and maintained by Appfly.
- Londonist was set up in 2004 as The Big Smoker written and edited by original founders Rob Hinchcliffe and Euan Mitchell. Later that year, we joined forces with the Gothamist network of city sites. In doing so, Londonist became the first international addition to the expanding -ist network.
- In 2010, management of the site was taken on by LDN Creative, Ltd. – a local social media company best known for the @LDN Twitter feed.
- Londonist receives over 500,000 unique visits and over 1.2 million page views per month.
- Londonist’s wide range of content attracts a high volume of comments and discussion from its readers, not just on-site, but through our popular Twitter feed (@Londonist) and Facebook page.
- We also arrange regular events, including London-themed pub quizzes, guided walks, photo exhibitions and more.
- We also run a weekly podcast about London, Londonist Out Loud.
- If you’re interested in advertising on Londonist, see our options here.
We review a lot of stuff on Londonist, from theatre productions to books about London, to new restaurants. In an ideal world, we’d choose all our targets independently and review everything anonymously. Indeed, we often do. However, we also rely partly on tip-offs from the venues, and PR companies representing them. In some cases, such as restaurant reviews, this can lead to a situation where the venue is aware that we are there to review them. Hence, our experience may differ from that of the typical customer. From 1 March 2011, we’ve been declaring such arrangements at the bottom of relevant posts, in an effort towards full disclosure. We also mark other potential conflicts of interest (such as family member involvement) in a similar way. Regardless of how we receive access to a venue, we strive to make all reviews as fair as possible, and not swallow the PR company’s line (unless we think they’ve got it right).
We occasionally carry advertising content in our editorial stream. To make this clear, such content is labelled as ‘sponsored by’, or ‘in partnership with’, has author name ‘sponsor’, and any associated tweets carry the word ‘(sponsor’). After an initial trial period, in which we tried various approaches, we now avoid blatant SEO-style advertising and material from ‘content farms’ and work with advertisers to make sponsored content of genuine interest to a London audience.
Competitions on Londonist are nearly always commercially arranged and marked ‘sponsored’ as highlighted above. Normally, we need to take an email address in order to notify winners. We will never share contact details with third parties (such as the company behind the competition) without opt-in permission. Nor will we store or use your details ourselves, other than to notify winners.
Helpful? Bunch of crap? We want this page to be clear, so please email us at email@example.com if you want to query, quibble or suggest.