Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up.
- Did a Deptford churchyard inspire the Jolly Roger?
- In pictures: some of London's biggest cock ups.
- Which is quicker: car or public transport?
- The underground shopping arcade 30 seconds from Oxford Street.
- A look back at every artwork that's been on the Fourth Plinth so far.
- Meet the Londoners who sell drugs online.
- These people live on an island... in London.
- Have any prisoners actually ever escaped from the Tower of London?
- Browse photos of Piccadilly Circus through the ages.
- How London gave cigarettes their names.
Did you know...
- ... where London's first taxi rank was?
- ... which high street chains started out in London?
- ... about the cat who might join you for dinner at The Savoy?
- ... that Wembley Stadium wasn't always called Wembley Stadium?
- ... where you can find London's oldest family businesses?
- ... why Croydon doesn't have a CR1 postcode?
- ... that the London Eye was never meant to be permanent?
- ... that Battersea nearly had a giant sex toy skyscraper?
Food and drink
- Tuck into London's most glamorous afternoon tea.
- London's oldest delicatessen opened when Queen Victoria was still on the throne.
- This trendy brunch restaurant has opened in a very unlikely area of south London ★★★☆☆
- What's the vegan fried chicken restaurant actually like? ★★★☆☆
- The cafés to visit for a bit of class with your cuppa.
- London's best hotel bars.
Things to do
- Make time to see the best art exhibitions in London right.
- Museum sleepovers aren't just for kids — here's where adults can get in on the fun.
- See the next artwork on Trafalgar Square's Fourth Plinth at this new exhibition.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.