Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up.
- Serious stuff here: what's the best seat on the bus?
- Eight foods named after London.
- The exterior of the Tate Modern's extension has been revealed — and we like what we see.
- Never been to Golders Green? This is what it looks like.
- Has the humble London petrol station had its day? And is gentrification to blame?
- Why doesn't London have its own sausage? We've attempted to repair this travesty.
- We went to Holborn station in rush hour to see how that standing on both sides of the escalator rule is working out.
- Camberwell's an absolute foodie paradise — take a look at this lot.
- Five London facts you'll want to tell everyone.
- Are these the best pubs in the West End?
- Rising property prices put even London institutions at risk.
Did you know...
- ...that there's no such place as Bond Street. We're serious. Here's why.
- ...why Regent Street is curved?
- ...what the Queen, television and red phone boxes have in common?
- ...about this gruesome bit of history below Centre Point?
- ...'Pig' was one of the nicknames that Charles Dickens had for his wife?
Things to do
- Scandimania is coming to South London.
- Public transport and London markets will feature heavily in this exhibition of prints of London.
- Is gentrification always a bad thing? Join the debate.
- Apparently it's never too early to introduce the kids to the music of David Bowie.
- Access limited-entry locations and enjoy free art across the capital this summer.
- Play Sherlock Holmes in this immersive show at Madame Tussauds.
- A restaurant dedicated entirely to lasagna has opened in Soho. LASAGNA, people. Meanwhile, in nudist news...
- London's tenants can be charged up to £780 in letting fees every time they move home... and then 60% of us face rats, mould and leaks when we get there.
- If you're heading to Kew Gardens anytime soon, take a clothes peg for your nose.
- Black cab drivers have rerecorded Amy Winehouse's Back to Black to encourage people to go back to black cabs. They've also teamed up with cyclists to tackle air pollution.
- Plans for a 30 storey tower in Paddington have been approved.
- The man who invented the cronut is opening a bakery in London.
- The National Theatre has announced the closing date for its 'Red Shed' temporary theatre.
- Tube journeys can take up to four times longer for wheelchair users.
- ART: Which of these recently opened art exhibitions are worth visiting?
- SECRET CINEMA: Secret Cinema's 28 Days Later looks great — but isn't scary enough ★★★☆☆
- RESTAURANT: Is this the best Chinese hotpot restaurant in London? The lobster and the Spam says yes ★★★☆☆
- MUSICAL: Sheridan Smith fills Streisand's shoes in style in new musical Funny Girl ★★★★☆
- THEATRE: BalletBoyz are back with a new show about life and death — but is it up to their previous efforts? ★★★☆☆
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.