Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up.
- START THE FANS: we've been to play The Crystal Maze. It's the best.
- Why we've got London to thank for Sir David Attenborough's career.
- This new photography book shows the behind-the-scenes shenanigans at London's theatres, while this book has some gorgeous paintings of London buildings.
- What to order at London's best Georgian restaurants (that's the country, not the time period).
- Thought you knew the Square Mile? How many of these titbits were you familiar with?
- Secrets of the Old Royal Naval College.
- Trust The Savoy to turn a 10 metre swimming pool into an infinite one.
- What did the flying ace Manfred von Richthofen — AKA The Red Baron — have to do with Croydon?
- Greek food's making a London comeback in the form of souvlaki.
- On Disabled Access Day we asked: are London's music venues doing enough to provide access for all?
Did you know...
- ...why Harrow School chapel was initially built without its spire?
- ...how much it costs to stand for Mayor of London?
- ...that the lion on Westminster Bridge used to guard a brewery?
- ...why London buses are red?
- ...about these little geographical quirks on the boundaries between London's boroughs?
- Morrissey wants to run for Mayor of London. What could his policies be?
- All of the UK's top 10 visitor attractions are in London.
- There's going to be a restaurant in the Cheesegrater building.
- Caroline Pidgeon launches policies to help private renters.
- Swanley became part of travel zone 8 this week. Why not pay it a visit?
- Deep fried Creme Eggs burgers are coming to London this Easter.
- THEATRE: Motown The Musical is basically a self-penned hagiography of Berry Gordon ★★★☆☆
- FILM: The Ones Below is every parent's nightmare ★★★☆☆
- FILM: A new documentary about Alfred Hitchcock is out now ★★★☆☆
- THEATRE: German Skerries is about birdwatching in Middlesbrough, and we loved it ★★★★☆
- OPERA: If you see just one Philip Glass opera, make it Akhnaten ★★★★☆
Things to do
- It's only two weeks until the Easter holidays — get planning.
- Take part in Search Party, a treasure hunt which leads you to a free party next weekend.
- Which of this month's art exhibitions are worth a visit, and which are best avoided? We did a recce.
- It's St Patrick's Day on Thursday, and the celebrations are already underway in London.
- See author Ben Judah discuss his acclaimed book This Is London at Conway Hall.
- A series of Shakespearean walks and talks are planned as part of the excavation of the Curtain Theatre.
- 15 fabulous things to do in London for under £10.
Browse and book more London events at our tickets site powered by YPlan.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.