Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up.
- Video: crowds gathered in Brixton on Monday night to pay tribute to David Bowie. And why not check out this map of David Bowie's London.
- They weren't lying when they called Forest Hill a hill. Take a stroll through the area in photos.
- Read all about London's first electric light festival — all the way back in 1848.
- Not made it to Lumiere London light festival? See our photo gallery of the illuminations or watch our video.
- "I realised I didn't have to choose": accounts of being non-binary in London.
- 600 fictional London streets from books, plays and poems have been mapped.
- Did you know that kids eat free in these London restaurants?
- Explore Bayswater and Queensway's foodie offerings on our latest instalment of the culinary tube map.
- An (inaccurate) hand-drawn map of Tooting Bec Lido... sharks and all.
- Can a cynic be won over to cycling?
- Competitions: win yourself a year's free travel or a VIP hotel and dinner experience. Are we good to you or what?
Did you know...
- ...London's due a few new football stadiums in the coming years. See who's moving where and when.
- ...where London's first branch of Sainsbury's or WHSmith's or Debenham's was? Find out here.
- ...Nazi planes used to take off and land at Croydon Airport regularly. Find out 11 interesting facts about the airport here.
- ...Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are about to go face to face on the TV. Sort of.
- Brace yourself for the Kay Burley shrubbery... it looks like Sky will have naming rights over parts of the Garden Bridge.
- 20 of the 32 London boroughs are failing to meet stop and search arrest targets.
- There are plans to build a visitor centre as part of conservation work at Brompton Cemetery.
- Museum of London is looking for an architect to work on its Smithfield site.
- London's domestic violence services are being cut.
- Bananaman The Musical is coming to London.
- The Canal & River Trust is looking for volunteer lock keepers in London.
- Why we want the London transport map to look more orange.
- EXHIBITION: Ever wondered what the ice age was like in Ilford? There's an exhibition for that ★★★★☆
- ART: Saatchi Gallery's all-female line-up is a hit and miss affair ★★★☆☆
- STAGE: Tipping Point is pole dancing — but not as we know it ★★★★☆
- STAGE: Le Corsaire is a five-star swashbuckling adventure from English National Ballet ★★★★★
Things to do
- 15 ways to a healthy, fit and fun Dry January.
- Museum of London's next exhibition delves into the history of London's tattoo pioneers.
- Go behind the scenes of BBC show Dickensian in a new exhibition opening this week.
- Watch Londonist dog Toby (and other London canines) take to the big screen tomorrow night.
- 9 booze-free events to embrace Dry January in London.
- This free exhibition explores the history of Deptford Creek in photos.
- Watch a film about London's beer scene in a London brewery.
- Winter Lights Festival at Canary Wharf is on until 22 January — see photos here.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.