Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up, sponsored by Pact Coffee — scroll down for a great Londonist reader offer.
- More of the funniest things you've ever heard tube drivers say.
- Why the hell do people go to Madame Tussauds?
- What's the best department store in London? We pitted five against each other, and here's the result.
- Next month, Central line trains will stop at Tottenham Court Road again — here's a preview of what to expect in the revamped station.
- We reckon these are the best places to eat and drink in Balham — what do you think?
- Toys aren't just for kids, as this guide to London-y Christmas presents proves.
- Ferries, factories and fire stations in Woolwich.
- We spoke to comedian Margaret Cho ahead of her new London show.
- The 10 best restaurants open for Christmas dinner in London (best get booking).
Did you know...
- ...that map makers often put fake streets (AKA trap streets) into maps to protect their copyright? Here are some of London's trap streets.
- ...quite a lot opens in London on Christmas Day — including this lot.
- ...about these dog-friendly pubs in London?
- ...about these great places to shop for Thai ingredients in London?
- George Osborne's been doing his sums again — here's what the spending review means for London.
- New DNA research shows that London was a multicultural city as far back as Roman times.
- A High Court ruled that Lambeth Council acted unlawfully when dealing with Tulse Hill residents.
- In a most unnatural move, Holborn commuters are being made to stand on the right AND the left of the escalators.
- A bar which specialises in hot booze is opening next month.
- The studios where Tommy Cooper and The Office, among others, were filmed has been flattened.
- 40th anniversary of Punk to be marked with year-long celebration in London.
Sign up for Pact Coffee and get a free KeepCup
Let Bermondsey-based coffee-roasting extraordinaires Pact Coffee help you out this party season with freshly roasted joe delivered straight through your letterbox.
That means no more settling for instant because the weather's too grim to leave your home or office, and no more of the head-down run-shuffle through the winter sleet for your latte fix when you're really desperate.
Plus you'll get a free KeepCup travel mug gift with your first delivery when you use the code LONXMAS — perfect for when you do need to brave the elements.
Reader Offer Terms & Conditions: For new Pact customers only. Offer ends 22 December 2015. Full price 250g bags are £6.95, free P&P. KeepCup worth £10. Full terms and conditions at pactcoffee.com/terms.
This week’s Best of Londonist is sponsored by Pact Coffee.
Tickets and offers
Buttons are provided by YPlan.
Mix up your workout by taking part in a bellydance fitness class in Northwood Hills. The sport helps with burning fat, losing weight and toning up, as well as releasing your regular dose of endorphins. From £6, 30 November
LATE NIGHT TREASURE HUNT:
This Christmas themed treasure hunt around the National Portrait Gallery is inspired by Christmas carols. Taking place after hours, get exclusive access to the gallery and have fun to boot. £18, 4 December
RICHMOND IN A CANOE:
Personally, we think it's a bit nippy for canoeing at this time of year, but if you're differently minded, paddle through Petersham Meadows, Marble Hill House, Ham House, Eel Pie Island and York House Gardens on this stretch of the River Thames in Richmond, stopping for lunch along the way. £50, 5 December
Head to King's Cross for a screening of classic Christmas movie Home Alone, complete with fairy lights and jingle bells, plus complimentary hot drinks from Baileys. £5, 6 December
Buttons are provided by YPlan.
- EXHIBITION: See 'inside' the Lukang Temple in Tibet at Wellcome Collection ★★★★☆
- EXHIBITION: British troops helping in the fights against ISIS and Ebola are the topic of a new Imperial War Museum exhibition ★★★☆☆
- THEATRE: I Want My Hat Back at National Theatre is aimed at kids, but we enjoyed it just as much ★★★★☆
- FOOD: Street food goes indoors at Beast of Brixton, and we approve ★★★★☆
- TELEVISION: Did you watch Capital on BBC1? It had us intrigued ★★★★☆
Things to do
- Join us and three booze experts at Conway Hall on Monday for a night of talking about beer and gin — and drinking some, too.
- These Christmas comedy shows will keep you chuckling right through 'til 2016.
- Next weekend is your last chance to get to Syon Park's Enchanted Woodland this year — take a look at the magic on offer.
- Forget the gym and get fit in fun and unusual ways in December.
- Join Londonist as we head down to the Victorian vaults beneath Waterloo station to present three classic movies about London in partnership with Underground Film Club.
- Get your singalong voice warmed up — Disney's Aladdin is coming to the West End stage.
- 24 unique things to do in London in December.
- Celebrate Christmas in the house of the man who practically invented it — Charles Dickens.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.