Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up.
- The time capsules buried beneath London.
- How an aircraft carrier made from ice was designed deep below Smithfield.
- We really wish these tunnels existed in London.
- The best old maps of London.
- How many types of transport can you take in London in one hour? Can you beat this?
- Get ready for Christmas Jumper Day with our pick of London-themed festive knitwear.
- We are blown away by these stunning aerial shots of London — taken from a helicopter.
- The zany car park skyscraper that London almost had.
- Meet the pub cats of London.
Did you know...
- ...about the memorial made out of Blitz debris in Tower Hamlets Cemetery.
- ...which building is London's oldest?
- ...about the time the Queen drove a tube train into Oxford Circus?
- ...what the difference is between Haringey and Harringay?
- ...what that hut in the middle of Soho Square is for?
- Tube drivers and station staff have voted to strike over two separate issues.
- Heathrow goes all John Lewis for its new Christmas ad.
- A new Lego store has opened in Leicester Square. Take a look inside.
Food and drink
- Get your waffle on at these excellent London waffle joints (savoury and sweet).
- From breakfast to fine dining, we've tracked down the best places to eat and drink in Wandsworth.
- London's getting an alcoholic sweet shop.
- Video: at London's first dedicated hot pot restaurant.
- Don't go hungry in Clapham with this fine selection of restaurants, bars, pubs and cafes.
- London's newest food trend is... aubergine (no, really).
Things to do
- Glenda Jackson plays a magnificent King Lear at The Old Vic ★★★★☆
- Gilmore Girls and Nutella: pop-ups to try in November.
- La Soirée in Leicester Square is a ray of sunshine in a bleak year ★★★★★
- Two ways to scare yourself senseless in London right now.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.