Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up.
- What is the night tube? This video explains everything you need to know, in two minutes.
- How to do posh London on a budget.
- A visit to London's southerly finger.
- How to do the Museum of London in an hour.
- Famous Londoners who should have statues but don't.
- Here's what Google thinks of your bit of London.
- 11 of London's funniest and most poignant cinema signs.
- Was the Oxo Tower really an Oxo factory? We went behind those giant letters to find out.
Did you know...?
- ...about the attempted royal assassination in Green Park?
- ...how London was created?
- ...about the ticking time bomb in the Thames Estuary?
- ...that tube stations, BBC buildings, and even St Paul's Cathedral are built out of fossils?
- ...how London's squares got their names?
- ...how London has dealt with sewage over the centuries?
- ...what lines the walls and ceilings of the Dorchester hotel?
Food and drink
- The best restaurants in London to take your parents to.
- These middle and high-end London restaurants all offer upmarket vegetarian and vegan menus — perfect for a special occasion.
- London's best wine bars...
- ...and where to get London's best hangover food for the morning after.
- The world's largest colobus monkey walk-through enclosure is coming to London Zoo.
- A famous East End pub has been saved from development.
- A new set of London emojis will be available soon.
- Independent shops are being forced out of Covent Garden.
- You can now see inside Westminster Abbey on Google Street View.
Things to do
- There are free film screenings taking place in Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens...
- ...while London Zoo is having a pop-up outdoor cinema showing animal films.
- Stick two fingers up at the British weather and get yourself along to one of these beaches in London.
- Photos from east London raves of the 80s have gone on display.
- The BFG Dream Jar Trail is now open — find out what it's all about.
- ART: There's more to Georgia O'Keeffe than flower paintings, as this new Tate Modern exhibition shows ★★★★☆
- EXHIBITION: Somerset House's Daydreaming With Stanley Kubrick is a wonderfully surreal homage to the filmmaker ★★★★★
- FOOD: Brixton's Salon is an exceptional neighbourhood restaurant ★★★★☆
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.