Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up, this week sponsored by our media partner the Wallace Collection. Don't miss Look OUT, happening on 5 February — scroll down for more information.
- Important stuff here: what's the best seat on the tube?
- In other life-changing information, where can you get London's best fried chicken?
- Find out why Amy Johnson's plane belongs at Croydon Airport — not Hull, not the Science Museum.
- Inside the Blackheath shop that hasn't changed since the 1960s.
- London's greatest animal escapes.
Did you know...
- ...TV series Call The Midwife is based on the story of a real Poplar nurse whose memoirs inspired the series?
- ...the world's first cash machine was in Enfield of all places.
- ...Winnie The Pooh author AA Milne was a Londoner? See the London locations linked to his life.
- ...who does the street art that we see on London's streets?
- ...Uxbridge used to have four railway stations? Find out more here.
- ...how television was invented in London?
- ...this year marks the 40 years of Punk?
- TfL is to take over London's suburban rail routes.
- Should City Airport be closed?
- An independent Herne Hill toyshop is being forced to close down after its landlord — linked to local private schools — upped the rent by 70%.
- Black London actors have criticised the lack of actors and directors of colour in this year's Oscar nominations.
- An ambitious new project aims to map London's entire history.
- What is City Hall spending its money on this year?
Celebrate LGBT History Month at the Wallace Collection Late
To mark the return of its popular Friday Late series this February, the Wallace Collection is hosting a special curated event, dedicated to LGBT History Month — all are welcome!
Look OUT features cabaret, live music, art workshops and curators’ talks — highlights include performances by Fingersnap in the stunning Great Gallery and makeover sessions by celebrity hair and make-up artist Darren Evans. Explore the queerer side of the Collection after hours with a glass of wine and get better acquainted with this spectacular gallery.
Londonist is proud media partner to the Wallace Collection and its Friday Lates series.
- BALLET: Royal Ballet's on top form in this double bill at Royal Opera House ★★★★★
- EXHIBITION: Is it time we built our own homes? ★★★☆☆
- EXHIBITION: Treasures of the Fan Museum make us rue the rise of air conditioning ★★★★☆
- COMEDY: Eddie Izzard's intellectual humour is a force to be reckoned ★★★★★
- ART: We were blown away by Charles Petillon's surreal balloon art ★★★★☆
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Stunning space photos bring science and art together at Natural History Museum ★★★★☆
Things to do
- How does dating in London compare to other cities? Join us to find out.
- Where to celebrate Burns Night in London.
- Two London Transport Museum late events coming up; Illuminate and Scent and Spirit of London.
- 18 culinary experiences to indulge your inner foodie.
- Family-friendly ways to celebrate Chinese New Year.
- Watch a special screening of Quadrophenia and chat to the stars of the film.
- 10 things to do this week for a tenner or less.
Browse and book more London events at our tickets site powered by YPlan.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.