Instantly recognisable, the red-tiled tube station is an icon of London. These much-loved stations on the Bakerloo, Northern and Piccadilly lines are the work of Leslie Green (1875-1908).
Each station is slightly different, but all use the same motifs: red-glazed tiles, large arched windows, a prominent cornice and a steel-frame structure designed to support upper floors (often never built).
Much has been written about Green, his distinctive designs and his short life (here's an excellent biography), but we've never before seen a map of his work.
The graphic above shows all the Green stations that still have a presence above ground. We've left out those that have been demolished, or else have no surface structure (such as Regent's Park). Note that Euston station is still standing at the time of publication, but is set for demolition in the near future, to accommodate the HS2 project.
For completeness, we've also include three structures (Kilburn Park, Maida Vale, Paddington) by Green's assistant Stanley Heaps, which were designed on the same principle after Green's death.
We welcome any comments or corrections below.
Map and all images by Matt Brown, except for Holborn courtesy of Jane Manley, and the portrait of Green, which is public domain.