Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up.
- We read every single Dickens novel, and mapped the London locations he used the most.
- Where to see and hear the River Fleet.
- The Londoners who claim to create zero waste.
- Peter Ackroyd explains how mother's ruin almost ruined London.
- A brief history of The Muppets in London.
- Taking a walk along London's most famous lost railway.
- Morbid tabloid sensationalism is nothing new.
- London's roundabouts are actually rather beautiful, don't you think?
Did you know...?
- ...the South Bank Lion has a time capsule up its bottom?
- ...who Alexandra Palace is named after?
- ...you can use your bus hopper on the tram?
- ...Harry Selfridge wanted to turn the shop's basement into a tube station?
- ...the Barbican's conservatory is open every Sunday?
- ...Guildhall Gallery is designed around one huge painting?
Food and drink tips
- Where to celebrate Oktoberfest in London.
- The Conflict Café returns later this month.
- Carbs ahoy! Here are London's best pasta restaurants...
- ... and while we're at it, here's where to get your gob round gluten free pizza.
- Amazon will now deliver Michelin-starred food to your door.
- One of London's — and the country's — most renowned clubs has been closed down.
- Northern line, hang you head in shame: you have the worst behaved passengers on the network.
- Historic tube signalling cabin could open to the public.
Things to do
- Catch an American blockbuster at the West End.
- Get your mitts on objects that are thousands of years old.
- Check out this Mighty Boosh exhibition.
- Visit the ghost of Alan Turing under a bridge.
- Sit in a crocodile's head at the excellent London Design Biennale.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.