Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up, this week sponsored by Velocity.
- The Great Fire of 1666 was bad, but it wasn't the only fire to rip through London.
- The Clink Prison Museum: historical artefact or fairground sideshow?
- These weird-sounding restaurant dishes really, really shouldn't work. But they do.
- We track down parts of the medieval London Bridge in Essex, Kent and Scotland.
- Bikes, biscuits and ballet shoes: surprising things that London still makes.
- Fancy tucking into a dish of Monkey Fingers or munching a Deep Throater?
- A map of London's erogenous zones.
- Could the plague strike London again?
- Is Brighton really 'London-on-sea'?
Did you know...?
- ...about the 'Nazi' dog buried in London?
- ...about the south London park which used to have a zoo?
- ...about the prison room inside the tower of Big Ben (yeah, we know, Big Ben is the bell)?
- ...how Brick Lane got its name?
- ...there's a London postcode that's not actually in London? Let us explain.
- ...about the white chapel that gave Whitechapel its name?
Get tickets to a unique dining experience with Velocity
Discover and instantly book London’s hottest restaurants and dining experiences with restaurant reservation app Velocity, including The Duck and Rice, Kitty Fisher’s and Restaurant Story.
Next on the menu is #AllGunsBlazing, a unique dining experience with renowned chefs Ben Spalding and Ernst Van Zyl.
Tuck into a 10-course menu, with wine from Enotria & Coe and cocktails. The dinner will be hosted in a specially designed room, with soul, disco and house music.
#AllGunsBlazing takes place on 31 August and 1 September. Tickets are £107 and can only be purchased through Velocity. For iOS, download Velocity to purchase through the app from the special events tile. Otherwise email AllGunsBlazing@velocityapp.com.
- A new Harry Potter exhibition is coming to the British Library...but you'll have to wait until next year.
- If you use Holborn station regularly, you'll need to know about this.
- A unique City of London pub is under threat from developers.
- The National Maritime Museum is getting four new galleries.
- Real-time traffic updates are being trialled on the back of some buses.
- Travel on South West Trains? You could soon be travelling on one of these.
Things to do
- Eat Michelin star food...then pay what you like for it.
- Liven up your next trip to Euston Road by visiting the area's hidden art gallery.
- Here's how to make your next trip to the British Museum a bit more interesting.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.