Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up. Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.
- New to London, or got friends coming to visit? Our visitors' guide to London has advice for newbies in the city from where to go and what to eat to how to get around.
- Just looking at some of London's poshest meat pies has induced us into a food coma.
- ....speaking of which, these three new filled bagels are worth a try too (although perhaps not all in the same meal). And while you're there, wash it down with some of London's best pickles.
- Bit of a pea-souper earlier this week, wasn't it? Take a look at foggy London in photos.
- We ventured down to Thamesmead, partly by fate and partly by choice. Here's what we thought.
- Love Leytonstone? Scroll through our photo gallery of the area.
- Take a toddle around the arty haunts of Hoxton with this hand-drawn map of the area.
- There may be trouble ahead for Holborn Studios, the "Abbey Road of photography".
Did you know...
- ...what it's like inside the BT Tower? We went inside and had a poke around.
- ...how fast rents have been rising across London? We've been keeping an eye on it for a while, and it's pretty scary.
- ...that the average museum only has 11% of its objects on display at any one time? We went behind the scenes at the Grant Museum of Zoology to see what's not on display.
- ...that Laurence Olivier once opined that one statue has "the best arse in London"? Find out which one.
- ...that this week was British Sausage Week? To celebrate, we've found London's best bangers.
- ....any of these secrets of Bloomsbury?
- The London Living Wage is rising to £9.40 an hour.
- Once again, the Million Mask March took place on 5 November. What's it like in the middle of it?
- Like street food? There's a new crowdfunding campaign to build a new street food market for London.
- The results of the public vote are in. London's favourite transport design icon is...
- London's first shop for the homeless opened this week. Find out what it's all about.
- London Transport Museum is opening a new gallery next month. London By Design will showcase how London has become a world leader in transport design.
Tickets and offers
Buttons are provided by YPlan.
WINTER WINE FESTIVAL:
Love wine? Get yourself down to the Wine Gang Winter Festival at Vinopolis at London Bridge. 600 different wines will be available to sample, plus masterclasses about wines from different regions of the world. From £17.50, 14 November
Animated film Inside Out, which goes inside the mind of an 11 year old girl, is being screened at Pillow Cinema at Sutton House in Hackney. Watch the film from the comfort of a beanbag. From £7.50, 15 November
Buttons are provided by YPlan.
- THEATRE: The Hairy Ape offers a stark warning that if you treat people like animals, they will start to act like them ★★★☆☆
- THEATRE: Elf The Musical is full of Christmas cheer — if you can afford it ★★★★☆
- ART: We know it's not been warm this week, but one corner of Clapham is positively tropical ★★★★☆
- ART: Heavy construction meets sculpture in Southwark Park ★★★★☆
Things to do
- Join Londonist for an evening of boozing and talking about boozing at Conway Hall. We'll be looking at the history of London's beer and gin life.
- Warm up with London's best hot chocolates.
- Africa, Korea, Prague, France and India: just a taste of this month's London film festivals.
- Load up your Oyster card and head out to these beer festivals this month.
- Got something you want to ask Boris Johnson? Here's your chance.
- Author Matthew Beaumont is at London Transport Museum on Wednesday evening to talk about night walking in London. More information and booking here.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.