Need to travel into, around, or out of London over Christmas?
Need to know which public transport is running between Christmas and New Year?
Do London buses run on Christmas Day?
Find out all you need to know about transport in London over Christmas and New Year below. Bear in mind that there may be further last-minute alterations to these services, and that services may shut down early on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve — always check your specific service before your travel.
Does the tube run on Christmas Day? A guide to TfL services over Christmas
As usual, no TfL services run on Christmas Day. That's buses, tubes, trains, Overground, DLR, river boats, the works. Some transport will also finish early on Christmas Eve, so don't get caught out by that. On the plus side, there's no Congestion Charge or ULEZ on Christmas Day (though the LEZ, which applies to the most polluting vehicles, is in operation every day of the year, including 25 December).
Santander Cycles are still available to hire on 25 December, and electric scooter hire is available in some boroughs. Some taxi services will also be running.
Here are the rest of the details as to what's closed between Christmas and New Year:
TFL RAIL: No service 25-26 December. Reduced service 27-28 December, with some trains only operating between Liverpool Street and Chadwell Heath.
- Piccadilly line: No service between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge (24-30 December). No service between Acton Town and Heathrow, replacement buses operate (24-30 December)
- Jubilee line: No service between Willesden Green and Wembley Park. Replacement buses operate (26-27 December).
- Metropolitan line: No service between Wembley Park and Aldgate (26-27 December).
- Waterloo & City line: No service 26 December.
- Bakerloo: No service between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone (1-3 January). Note that the London Overground between Euston and Watford Junction also isn't running, so can't be used as an alternative, but replacement buses will operate.
All other tube lines appear to be unaffected (expect for the network-wide closure on Christmas Day).
LONDON OVERGROUND: No service between Euston and Watford Junction, between Surrey Quays and New Cross, between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction, between Sydenham and Crystal Palace, between Liverpool Street and Chingford, between Liverpool Street and Enfield/Cheshunt, between Richmond/Shepherds Bush and Stratford, between Gospel Oak and Barking (all 26 December only). Also, no service Romford-Upminster (26-28 December) and no service between Gospel Oak and Stratford (27-28 December) but replacement buses run, and reduced service between Gospel Oak and Barking (27-31 December). No trains run after 23.45 between Camden Road and Willesden Junction (28-31 December). No service Hackney Wick-Stratford (1-3 January), or between Euston and Watford Junction (1-3 January). Use London Northwestern Railway or replacement buses between Euston and Watford Junction, as that stretch of the Bakerloo also isn't running.
DLR: No service between Bank/Tower Gateway and Poplar/West India Quay (26-31 December)
RIVER BUS: No service 25 December. No closures currently scheduled any other day.
BUSES: No service 25 December. Normal service otherwise, expect for the usual ongoing works (eg. Hammersmith Bridge closure).
TRAMS: No service 25 December. Usual service all other days.
ELIZABETH LINE: Nothing yet.
Trains over Christmas: Southern, Southeastern, Thameslink, Greater Anglia, LNER, Virgin West Coast, Great Western
SOUTHEASTERN: Some late-night alterations 20-24 December. No service 25-26 December. Major engineering work near Lewisham (27 November-3 January) affecting most Southeastern lines on various days — details here.
SOUTHERN: No service 25 December. Limited service 26 December, with max. two trains per hour, and only on main routes. No trains at Victoria 27-31 December. All other services likely to be revised 27-31 December so check before you travel. Details here.
THAMESLINK: No service 25-26 December. Amended service 27-31 December. Details here.
GREATER ANGLIA: Early shutdown on Christmas Eve. No service 25-26 December. Reduced service to/from Liverpool Street on all routes 27-28 December. Reduced midweek service 29-31 December. Details here.
SOUTH WESTERN: Unconfirmed at time of writing but no services 25 December (and possibly 26 December).
LNER: No trains 25-26 December. Timetables for other days available here.
AVANTI WEST COAST: No Christmas details available at time of writing — watch this space.
GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY: Christmas details not yet available — watch this space.
Which railway stations will be closed over Christmas?
VICTORIA: No trains run to/from London Victoria on 27-31 December due to signalling upgrade works.
Getting to the airport at Christmas
- No service on the Piccadilly line between Acton Town and Heathrow (24-30 December). Replacement buses operate but do allow plenty ox extra time. Use TfL Rail to/from Paddington (except 25 -26 December). Replacement coaches also available to/from Hammersmith
- Full details on the TfL website.
- Heathrow Express: No service after 22.55 on 24 December, no service on 25-26 December.
- After a long hiatus, the Gatwick Express service resumes 13 December 2021.
- No Gatwick Express 25-31 December. Limited Southern service between London Bridge and Gatwick Airport on 26 December. Use Southern or Thameslink to get to Gatwick throughout this period.
- No Stansted Express 25 December.
- On 26 December, Stansted Express only operates Tottenham Hale to Stansted Airport, so use Victoria line to get to/from Tottenham Hale.
New Year's Eve travel in and around London
It doesn't look like we're getting free travel on TfL services this New Year's Eve as we have in previous years — unsurprising, given the state of TfL's finances. However, TfL has said that there will be special services running overnight. Check with the TfL website closer to the time for details.