Camden's nightclub Koko was ablaze last night (6 January), although firefighters have managed to contain the fire to the roof.
The venue — which opened as the Camden Theatre in 1900, and has played host to everyone from the Goons to the Rolling Stones to Madonna — was undergoing a £40m refurbishment, when London Fire Brigade were called to the scene of a fire just before 9pm.
Super-sad seeing Camden’s KOKO in flames. That place holds so many memories. Thankfully mid-refurb so assuming empty, but still hard to see pic.twitter.com/bPcxKJk2Y3— Wayne (@MrWayneyB) January 6, 2020
Scores of Koko fans took to social media to air their shock at the news, including veteran DJ Tony Blackburn and London's night czar Amy Lamé.
I’ve only just heard about this. This is terrible news particularly as it was going through a refurbishment and we were hoping to hold our next BBC Radio London Soul Night Out there when it opens. Let’s hope nobody has been hurt in the fire at KoKo it’s such a great venue. https://t.co/insIRmOqWm— Tony Blackburn (@tonyblackburn) January 6, 2020
The fire has echoes of London's 2014 Cutty Sark blaze; the historic ship was also undergoing renovations, when it caught light.
London Fire Brigade has confirmed that crews will remain at the scene throughout the day (7 January). It remains to be seen how much damage has been done to the venue. No one was reported as being hurt in the fire.