This weathered relic lurks on Carey Street, off Chancery Lane. The letters are faded, but still legible.
To the left we have an anchor, symbol of St Clement Danes church (St Clement was martyred when thrown into the sea, weighed down by an anchor.) One the right are the letters WSD — which stand for St Dunstan in the West. This is, of course, a boundary marker showing where the two parishes meet.
Nobody knows the age of the stones. Historic Britain reveals that they are formed of Portland stone, and Grade II listed. Their antiquity is given vaguely as 17th/18th century.
Peter Jackson in his marvellous book London Explorer (1953) describes them as 'two of the oldest' in London.
We wonder if this is true, and if any readers can suggest other parish boundary markers that might out-wizen them.
We've found a number around town with specific dates. Here, for example, is an 18th century marker we found in Bermondsey — this time clearly noted as 1794.
Still older is this 1731 survivor in Stratford. This is the oldest dated example we know of, but we'd love to hear about other contenders.