Your Sunday morning best of Londonist weekly round-up, sponsored by Google Local Guides — scroll down for information on how to earn great rewards while supporting your favourite local businesses.
- Help can be found for amateur Santas at London's best toyshops.
- Should men give up their seats for women on the tube? Join the debate here.
- These London train journeys certainly aren't your average commute — how many have you done?
- Want your own, personalised roundel for your Christmas tree this year? Find out how (we've also got London soldier peg dolls covered).
- Gluten-free? Don't miss out on the most important meal of the day with the best gluten-free breakfasts and brunches in London.
- Finchley's showing its best side in these photos.
- Seven London print magazines you need to read.
- Watch archive footage of London at Christmas, including chimps throwing a tea party at Selfridges.
- Where to drink hot and mulled cocktails this winter.
Did you know...
- ...who St Botolph was (and why there are so many London churches named after him)?
- ...why London's buildings are getting taller and taller?
- ...70 years of archive football footage is now available online.
- ...these secrets of Olympia London (and more importantly, can you tell which one is completely made up)?
- ...about the East End's history of protest?
- Plans for the tallest building in the City of London have been unveiled.
- The government is planning to relax building regulations for the green belt. What does this mean for London?
- Low-paid people are disproportionately affected by high travel costs, according to a new report.
- Most London A&Es are failing on patient waiting times.
- Surprise, surprise, the airport expansion decision has been delayed again.
- Outer London is getting poorer.
- Roald Dahl's BFG is getting a makeover, courtesy of Steven Spielberg.
Join Google's new Local Guides programme and earn rewards
If you know the best bits of London — the latest openings, the undiscovered curiosities, the local gems — then share that wisdom with others and earn great rewards for doing so when you join Google's new Local Guides programme.
It's all about sharing the love and putting things on the map of all maps: Google Maps. Support your favourite independent businesses and help your fellow Londoners make the best of our great city.
Those rewards? Every review, photo and edit leads to the latest piece of tech, extra storage and exclusive events. Past venues the BT Tower and disused Aldwych station make us wager that Google's got some goodies up its sleeve.
This week’s Best of Londonist is sponsored by Google Local Guides.
- PANTO: Wilton Music Hall's first ever pantomime manages to be both traditional and sparklingly alive ★★★★☆
- EXHIBITION: Big Bang Data at Somerset House will most likely scare, surprise and entrance you ★★★★★
- BALLET: One of the world's greatest ballet dancers performs a swan song at London Coliseum ★★★★★
- THEATRE: No surprises, Jim Broadbent does an incredible job as Ebenezer Scrooge ★★★★☆
Things to do
- Alternative ways to keep the whole family busy until Santa arrives.
- See 40 London theatre shows at reduced ticket prices.
- Dive the Great Barrier Reef with David Attenborough.
- Internet cats take a starring role at the upcoming London Short Film Festival.
- Not sure which of these four productions of The Nutcracker to see? Let us help you.
- Four freezing outdoor swims in London.
- Take a tour of Samuel Pepys's London.
- Join us for a screening of Shakespeare in Love at Waterloo Vaults.
- London will host its first Chinese lantern festival next year.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.