Once upon a time... today: tales for a modern London
In May the British Academy's Literature week will explore the fantastical and the magical with a week themed on fairy tales and folk tales — literary genres which transcend cultural, historical and national boundaries.
To celebrate, the Academy — with the help of Londonist as media partner — is looking for a new fairytale for modern London. From fantastical figures to folkloric experiences, budding writers should submit their work to be in with the chance of winning some great prizes.
The best story we receive will win a set of the Folio Society’s classic fairy tales: Grimm's Fairy Tales, Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales and Perrault's Fairy Tales. The best four entries will be published online on Londonist, and be printed together in an exclusive Literature Week publication distributed at all British Academy Literature Week events.
- Your story must be an original fairy tale set in London, or influenced by the city
- Your entry must be an original piece of fiction not published elsewhere, either digitally or in print
- All entries must be under 1,000 words
- All entries must be submitted in English
- Only one entry per person
- Entrants must be 18 or over on 28 February 2015
All submissions must be received by midnight on 28 February 2015. Submissions received after this time will not be considered.
To enter, please email email@example.com with the subject line 'Fairy tale competition'.
Please note: unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted in respect of their entry and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
British Academy Literature Week 2015 takes place 11-17 May. For more information sign up to the mailing list here.