The civil disturbances claimed another victim last night after a 68-year-old man died from injuries sustained on Monday night. Richard Mannington Bowes was beaten into a coma after attempting to stamp out a fire started by rioters. His death follows the fatal shooting of a man in Croydon and three fatalities in Birmingham, all struck by a car.
In other news related to the London disturbances:
- Arrests in London have now topped 1000. More than 600 people have been charged, including one numbat who posted a picture of himself and his loot on Twitter.
- Riot suspects include an Olympic Ambassador and a straight-A-grade university student.
- Hazel Blears MP found herself trending on Twitter after enquiring why the rioting kids weren't in school...in August.
- The Sun amuses itself by doing a lookalikey comparison thing between a convicted rioter and some TV character of note.
- Spurs v Everton is the only Premier League game to be postponed in the league's opening weekend.