The new Tate Modern installation has already claimed its first victim: on the day it opened to the public, a pensioner injured himself by walking into an unseen wall in Miroslaw Balka's How It Is. The man apparently reached the far end of the giant crate, which is lined with a felt-like material that absorbs light, when he tripped and banged his head against the side. He was treated by first-aid staff for a bruised and bloodied nose. Those first-aiders are pretty experienced when it comes to dealing with Tate pratfalls, and the gallery is getting an enviable reputation for injuring visitors: Doris Salcedo's crack two years ago led to sprained ankles aplenty, while the return of Seventies show BodySpaceMotionThings earlier this year saw 23 injuries and a handful of hospitalisations.
Visitor Injured At Tate Modern
Last Updated 14 October 2009