The destination wall at Blackfriars, a remnant from the station’s early years, has been unveiled in its new location.
Dating from 1886, when the London Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) opened the station as St Paul’s, the wall consists of 54 hand-carved sandstone blocks marking some of the exotic national and continental locations that passengers could hope to reach — everywhere from Faversham to Baden-Baden (with transfer to a steamer necessary in those pre-Chunnel days). The stones were removed when Network Rail began redevelopment work in 2009, but have now been returned and placed in the northern concourse.
Blackfriars is expected to fully open this summer.
Image courtesy of Network Rail