Last week the figures on the capital's most dangerous bus routes were announced.
One of the worst routes for thefts and robberies was the number 29 which runs between Trafalgar Square and Palmers Green. But from next week TfL are looking to improve the situation by recruiting a "a dedicated team of plain clothes and uniformed officers from the Transport Operational Command Unit (TOCU)" to monitor the route.
We love the idea of a crack team of 'bus cops', but we wish they were called the Transport Operational Forces Unit instead...just for the acronym.
In case you missed it, other dangerous routes include:
- The 436, which runs through Lambeth and Lewisham, and the 57, which goes through Lambeth and Wandsworth.
- The 253 between Hackney and Euston.
- The 436 bendy bus route through Lewisham, where fare dodging is a problem.
- The 57 route through Lambeth and Wandsworth, singled out for reports of rowdiness and motorists blocking lanes.
- The number 77A running to Waterloo, which Dennis Hopper has threated to blow up three times now.