There will be significant disruption to train services at London Euston station over the early May bank holiday weekend (30 April- 2 May), due to planned engineering works.
Network Rail is advising passengers who need to travel between Euston and Scotland to make their journey either side of the bank holiday weekend, rather than over the weekend itself.
The closure is due to major engineering work on the West Coast Main Line. It will affect Avanti West Coast services between Euston and Milton Keynes, as well as further north; London Northwestern Railway services between Euston and Tring/Milton Keynes; and London Overground services between Euston, Willesden Junction and Watford Junction.
Rail replacement services will operate on some routes, though these are limited and likely to be extremely busy — check with individual operators for details, though your best option is to avoid Euston services altogether if you can.
Euston Underground station is unaffected by the works.
May bank holiday travel disruption in London
Services at Euston aren't the only transport disruptions around London this bank holiday weekend. Here are some of the things to look out for elsewhere:
- Victoria station: Work on the line between Victoria and Brighton means no Southern trains run between Victoria and Balham/East Croydon. Full details on Southern website.
- Gatwick Express: The above works on the Victoria-Brighton line also means there's no Gatwick Express over the bank holiday weekend — use Southern or Thameslink from London Bridge instead. Full details on Gatwick Express website.
- Finsbury Park: No Great Northern services between Finsbury Park and Moorgate — services divert to King's Cross instead. Full details on the Great Northern website.
- Bakerloo line: No service between Stonebridge Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.
- District line: No service between Tower Hill and West Ham, and between Earl's Court and Wimbledon.
- Hammersmith & City line: Whole line closed.
- Northern line: The lengthy closure between Kennington and Moorgate is still ongoing due to Bank station upgrade works.
- Waterloo & City: As always, no service on weekends or bank holidays.
- DLR: No service between Shadwell and Bank, and between Westferry and Lewisham.
- Night tube: Those strikes on the Central and Victoria line night tubes are still ongoing. The night tube is running on these lines, just less frequently than it would otherwise be.
Check the TfL website for specific details of closures or changes to its services. The above are just the main things to look out for over the bank holiday weekend — as always, check with individual transport operators for specific details and last minute changes. Your best bet? Stay in London, and make the most of it with our guide to bank holidays in the capital.