This is a sponsored article on behalf of Oxford Street.
The Oxford Street Christmas lights are never to be missed but, this year, expect a party atmosphere along the length of the world's greatest shopping street.
The big switch-on takes place on 6 November. The lights will be impressive, but they're only one part of a fabulous evening of events and giveaways from 5pm-10pm. The Christmas shopping party kicks off seven weeks of events as part of the Christmas is Calling festivities.
Exceptional in-store music
Oxford Street has partnered with Capital XTRA, the UK's leading national urban radio station, for a diverse series of in-store gigs during the Christmas shopping party.
2018 Mercury Prize-nominated Novelist is just one highlight. The perceptive grime artist will perform at JD Sports from 7.30-8.30pm. You can also catch R&B singer Kara Marni at Tezenis (6-7pm), singer-songwriter Ray BLK at Nike (6.30-7.30pm), and talented pianist and singer Isaac Waddington at Uniqlo (7pm-8pm). Capital XTRA's Yinka Bokkini and Robert Bruce will introduce the latter three gigs with DJ sets.
Tickets are free, by ballot. Register before midnight on 1 November, on the Oxford Street Christmas is Calling website, to be included.
Gifts, prizes and giveaways
Get your Christmas shopping off to a buzzing start, and perhaps pick up something for yourself, with over 90 stores participating in one-night-only offers and in-store events. Here's a taster:
- High street faves like Warehouse, G Star Raw, Aldo, Miss Selfridge and Sunglass Hut will be offering up to 20% off selected items.
- Debenhams has over 1,000 scratchcards to give away. You could win a Dolce & Gabbana makeup bag, a Hermes gift set and other prizes.
- Topshop Topman has a playful giveaway. Customers are handed a bulb for the Christmas tree — plug it in and watch it light up to see if you've won a prize (up to £100 gift card).
Plan ahead with this online list of all the offers and experiences on 6 November.
Wandering stars and Oom-pah-pahs
As if that were not enough, look out too for the many other exciting events taking place on the evening.
- The Brighter Christmas session (5-9pm at Jurlique) offers complimentary beauty treatments, bubbles and advice on Christmas shopping.
- Try to outshine the official lights with UV face paint and glow sticks, as ASICS organises a 'Lite-Up Run' about the area, finishing up with an after-run party in the ASICS store. Pre-register on the Oxford Street website and be ready for a 5.20pm start.
- Look out for the Joy Jesters, bringing magic, circus skills and theatrics to both the street and stores. They can pop up anywhere, and you can even win a prize if you track one down.
- Catch nine-piece The New York Brass Band beside John Lewis and Partner's rooftop skating rink (7-8pm).
The extravaganza marks the beginning of the Christmas is Calling season on Oxford Street, which will see many more live events, offers and giveaways in the weeks leading up to the big day. Sign up to the newsletter on the Christmas is Calling site, and follow #ChristmasIsCalling on Twitter.