Prepare to be dazzled! This weekend, Londonist presents six lively interactive talks about the river starring some of our most interesting friends. Take a break from your Open House schedule and join us aboard the Dazzle Ship HMS President for lost rivers, oddities, immersion, mysteries, dock tales, songs and stories.
On Saturday 20 September:
- Tom Bolton and Tom Chivers face-off to see whose expertise runs deeper in London's Lost Rivers - The Geek Off at 11am
- Take the plunge with author Caitlin Davies and Chris Romer-Lee of the Thames Baths Project when they tell you all about Swimming in the Thames past and present at 1pm
- Our very own Matt Brown and the equally London-obsessed Westminster Guide Pete Berthoud regale the room with a plethora of illustrated Thames Oddities from 2.30pm
On Sunday 21 September
- Uncover myths and mysteries of the river with Fortean London founder Scott Wood and paganism expert Rob Stephenson
- What's up dock? Learn the fascinating stories behind London’s docks — focusing on St Katharine and West India — by local expert Christopher West and Museum of London contemporary curator Georgina Young
- Join in with songs and stories during London Dreamtime, a family-friendly voyage through sea shanties, comedies, music hall songs and folklore. Suitable for little Londonists (5-11s, but younger kids are also welcome) and their grown-ups
All events encourage participation with questions hosted by Londonist editors and team members. The boat bar will be open — so we can chill out and chat up on deck while watching the sun set over the river.
Can't decide which talk to come to? Buy a day ticket and get three for the price of two.
Tickets for each session are £7.50 or £5 concessions - except the family friendly session with London Dreamtime where under 11s go free! Come for the whole of Saturday or Sunday on a £15 day pass. Please book through the Totally Thames website. A few tickets will be available on the door.