This Week In London’s History
- Monday – 18 November 2003: George W Bush arrives in London as part of a four-day visit to the UK. His presence is met with mass protest.
- Tuesday – 19 November 1558: Queen Elizabeth I travels to Highgate on her accession to the throne. She is met by the bishops and escorted through London.
- Wednesday – 20 November 1992: Fire sweeps through Windsor Castle, causing £40 million worth of damage to over 100 rooms.
- Thursday – 21 November 1695: The great composer Henry Purcell dies at his home in Westminster. The cause of his death in unclear, with theories ranging from tuberculosis to chocolate poisoning.
- Friday – 22nd November 1977: Concorde’s first scheduled commercial flight from London to New York takes off from Heathrow.
Random London Quote Of The Week
If I could have found a buyer I would have sold London itself.