Got your winter coat out yet? If you found that yours no longer fits, is a bit shabby or so last year then find it a new home with someone who really needs it by giving it to Wrap Up London 2013.
This is the third year of the London coat collection that redistributes unwanted winter wear to shelters and refugee centres across London. Last year over 8,500 coats were passed on to 68 organisations helping vulnerable people — over 3,000 guests of Crisis at Christmas benefitted from the collection. This year, Hands on London already has requests for 16,000 coats from over 100 London shelters and refuges. They need your help (and coats) to help more people than ever before.
How can I help?
- Dig out and donate an old winter coat or jacket — men's, women's and children's are accepted
- Tell your friends and colleagues about Wrap Up London — there is disproportionate demand for men's coats so please encourage the guys in your life to see what's lurking in the wardrobe
- Volunteer to help the coat collection — details below
- The campaign needs financial and logistical support too — contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Where can I donate my coat?
On Wednesday 13, Thursday 14 and Friday 15 November you can donate your coats at the following London Underground stations: Waterloo, Kings Cross, Charing Cross, London Bridge, Liverpool Street, Paddington, Victoria, Euston, Baker Street, Canary Wharf and Highbury and Islington. Look out for the publicity at stations to locate the collection point.
Four Safestore locations are also taking donations in Bermondsey (24 Old Jamaica Rd, Bermondsey, SE16 4AW), Pentonville Rd (79-89 Pentonville Rd, N1 9LG), Notting Hill (Camelford Walk, W11 1TX) and Clapham (4 Timber Mill Way, Gauden Rd, SW4 6LY).
What volunteers are needed?
Hands on London need volunteers to help make this coat drive a success. There are three roles to fill:
- Raising awareness at tube stations on 11 and 12 November between 7-11am.
- Collecting coats at tube stations on 13, 14 and 15 November between 7-11am.
- Sorting the donated coats ready for distribution on the weekends of 16-17 and 23-24 November.
To volunteer email email@example.com stating your availability.
If you would like to host a collection at work please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like Hands on London on Facebook for updates.