Roll up, roll up for the fifth Bermondsey Street Festival on 24 September.
Annual favourites such as maypole dancing, a tug of war between rival pubs, kids' games and the ever competitive dog show evoke the bonhomie of a traditional village fete. At the other end of the spectrum the fashion show features resident designers and stalls from chic local eateries and artists, combined with a diverse range of music, contemporary dance and theatre. All evidence for why Bermondsey Street features as South London’s coolest quarter in Vogue's annual ‘Secret Address Book’.
Here's what we’re really looking forward to:
- DJs throughout the day and a screening of ‘Cabaret’ from Shortwave Cinema in the Square
- Kids get the chance to play with very special guests - adorable animals visiting from Surrey Docks Farm.
- The beefed-up music stage features hot local bands including The Real Bad Habits, Koa Sound, Little Shadows, Fruli Schu and the Ray Edwards Group
- Participatory performance events, including ‘Get your Apps out’ the impromptu iphone orchestra, stage-crowding in contemporary dance piece ‘Avalanche,’ and join the hunt for ‘Spring Heeled Jack’ in new promenade theatre.
- A wine tasting session at Delfina in association with the Wine and Sprit trust- yes!
This is a lovely little festival run completely by and for the local community, which is growing each year. Get down there, have a stroll, eat some gorgeous food and surprise yourself!
Bermondsey Street Festival is on Saturday 24 September.