One of the most heartening things to come out of the disturbances of the past few days is a determination amongst Londoners to stay positive. Yesterday saw an outpouring of support for communities, with hundreds of residents taking to the streets with brooms and gloves to help in the clean-up.
Today, kind-hearted folk continue to organise via social media to collect donations for the victims of fire, many of whom have literally lost everything they own. They're still in need of stuff and there are plenty of ways to donate:
- You can donate directly to the shelter in Tottenham, every day from 9am till 8pm until further notice, at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, at 1 Philip Lane, Tottenham, N15.
- Croydon Council has a full list of donation centres for Croydon victims listed here.
- Singers Kate Nash and Emmy the Great have organised via Twitter a collection with KnitNHealthy to pick up supplies from Hoxton Square, N1, at 6pm this evening, and again tomorrow.
- There will also be a pickup outside the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm, from 6pm to 8pm.
- A further pickup on the corner of Elgin Road and Portobello road will take place tomorrow morning, from 9am to 11am.
- Budgens in Crouch End have a cage outside where they will accept donations, 23 The Broadway, N8.
- The Artway Emporium in Highgate will receive and deliver donations until 7pm this evening, 273 Archway Road, N6.
- Milla Traylen is collecting donations for South Londoners from the Ritzy in Brixton at 7.30pm this evening, SW2.
- Katie Khan and James Andrews have been picking up from various spots yesterday and today, though they've been overwhelmed with requests and won't be doing any more pickups today.
- Shoes and slippers
- Sanitary items
- Baby items
- Safe children's toys
- Non-perishable food.
If you know of any other organisations or individuals accepting donations, let us know in the comments and we'll add them to the list.
Photo by Ted Dave, from the Londonist Flickr Pool.