Remember 1,000 days to go to the Olympic Games?
Remember 1,000 days to go to the Paralympic Games?
Remember 500 days to go to the Olympic Games?
Well, finally, a milestone really worth celebrating. This weekend marks one year (and a few days) to go until the opening ceremony of the London Olympics on 27 July 2012. The fourth Open Weekend means there's all kinds of stuff going on to get you involved, active and full of Olympic spirit. Just one year to go. That's exciting.
Trafalgar Square will be a focal point as always. On Saturday the screen will show the Tate Movie 'Itch of the Golden Nit' – a specially commissioned animated film made and inspired by children in collaboration with Tate and Aardman Animations.
The Waltham Forest and Woolwich Live Sites will also be hives of Olympic activity, with films about Games past, family feature films and, of course, a simultaneous screening of 'Itch of the Golden Nit'.
Other highlights for London include:
- The Floating Cinema taking to the Olympic Waterways for An Outsider's Guide to the Olympc Park – special boat trips all weekend with guest hosts providing commentary.
- Get Active Wandsworth Festival invites you to try something new for free: volleyball, football, Zumba, health walks, advice on healthy eating, swimming, rowing, dance, archery, athletics, gymnastics... in fact, sport and leisure centres across London – including Crystal Palace National Sports Centre – will open up for have-a-go and taster sessions.
- Take an extended walk around the Olympic area with Blue Badge guides.
- Accept the challenge of the Camden Game.
- Try cut price dance at the (in)famous Pineapple Dance Studios.
- Explore special Olympic trails round the Science Museum.
- Trinity Buoy Wharf at Docklands opens up with a summer arts festival.
- Edmonton erupts with a carnival on the streets and festival in Jubilee Park.
- The Geffrye Museum goes back to the 1960s.
- Investigate special garden sheds in Stratford.
- Celebrate Waltham Forest Mela
- Redbridge hosts the Inspiration festival at Fairlop Waters Outdoor Activity Centre with a 10k run, the chance to meet sporting heroes and the "Chariots of Fire" – Chair dance for 100+ Redbridge pensioners.
The Olympic Clock in Trafalgar Square is (now working and) counting down the seconds to 2012.