This Week In London’s History
- Monday – 18th April 1960: 60,000 protesters gather in Trafalgar Square as part of a ‘ban the bomb’ campaign.
- Tuesday – 19th April 1935: Comedian Dudley Moore is born in Dagenham, East London.
- Wednesday – 20th April 1964: A huge fire at Battersea Power Station scuppers the launch of the BBC Two TV channel.
- Thursday – 21st April 1509: Henry VII dies in Richmond Palace, supposedly as the result of a ‘broken heart’ following the deaths of his son and wife several years before.
- Friday – 22nd April 1925: George Cole is born in Tooting, and given up for adoption. He would become a successful film and television actor, arguably best known for his role as used car dealer Arthur Daley in the TV series 'Minder'.
Random London Quote Of The Week
The way was long and weary,
But gallantly they strode,
A country lad and lassie,
Along the heavy road!
The night was dark and stormy,
But blithe of heart were they,
For shining in the distance,
The lights of London lay!
O gleaming lights of London,
That gem of the city’s crown,
What fortunes be within you,
O Lights of London Town!
George Robert Sims, Lights of London