Photograph courtesy of Daddy Donkey (copyright: Kang Leong)
We've been giddily raving about lunchtime street vending campeónes Daddy Donkey for just under two years, and all that while we've been keenly pleased with their slow cooked/fast food Mexican menu, especially their gorgeous and creamy guac. So, when we got our grubby lil hands on Daddy D's guacamole recipe we were most definitely chuffed.
No, we didn't steal the recipe; it was given to us. But we're not that special. On Monday, February 8th, Daddy Donkey owner Joel Henderson will be on the Good Food Channel's Market Kitchen demonstrating to any and all how to make his “Ultimate Guacamole”. Keep reading for the recipe. Visit www.daddydonkey.co.uk for more deets about Daddy D's guacamole, burritos and more.
Daddy Donkey’s "Ultimate Guacamole"
400g of soft Hass avocadoes (approx. 4 x medium-sized avocadoes)*
*The real secret to creating your own Daddy Donkey “Ultimate Guacamole” is selecting the highest quality, fresh, soft Hass avocadoes. There really is no substitute when it comes to the colour, flavour & texture of this particular variety of avocado.
75g of red onion, diced finely
30g of pickled jalapeño chile, diced finely (approx. 1 x medium-size jalapeño)
Juice from 1 soft medium-sized lime
20g of fresh coriander, washed and chopped roughly
Salt to taste (approximately 1/2 tsp)
1. Cut the avocadoes in half and deseed, leaving one of the seeds to one side. Placing a seed in your guacamole once finished will help to stop the avocado turning brown so quickly.
2. Scoop the avocado flesh out with a metal spoon into a mixing bowl.
3. Using a stick blender or rolling pin, crush the soft avocadoes into a sticky paste making sure to leave some tiny pieces of avocado for additional texture.
4. Stir in the red onion, pickled jalapeño chile, lime juice, fresh coriander and salt.
5. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.
6. And Bob’s your Uncle . HOLY GUACAMOLE!!