Tomorrow is Midsummer’s Day, when folklorists, pagans and sun-worshipers get all giddy and excited. Add to their number the cyclists who will ride across London tonight to reach Primrose Hill for sunrise.
The Midsummer Madness event starts at 2am (morning of Tue 21 June) in Cutty Sark Gardens before processing across town on bicycles to the Camden vantage point. The itinerary goes a little something like this:
- 2am: Meet at Cutty Sark Gardens
- 2.30am: Reach Southwark Needle, that spikey protrusion at the southern end of London Bridge
- 3am: A quick stop-off at Bar Italia in Soho
- 4.30am: Reach the top of Primrose Hill…presumably jockey for position with Druids, etc.
- 4.43am: Sunrise!, being the Summer Solstice
- Then cycle back through the West End to Terry’s Cafe on Great Suffolk Street for a 6am breakfast
Londonist contributor Nicolas Chardinet gave it a go a few years ago and lived to tell the tale. The event was one of many imaginative initiatives previously organised by Barry Mason, who died earlier this month.
Image by Zefrog in the Londonist Flickr pool.