What is NFL in London?
NFL is America's National Football League... except, as we all know, football in America isn't the football we know. Find out more about what American Football actually involves and get up to date on the rules here.
NFL in London (previously known as NFL International Series) is what it says; the American game, transferred to London. Of the 32 teams in the league, six will each play a match here in London in autumn 2018. The games played here are part of the regular season, and count towards the league as such.
History of NFL in London
NFL in London is part of a tour previously known as the NFL International Series, which saw matches played in countries all over the world. These days, the three London matches and one in Mexico are the only official NFL games played outside of the USA.
Wembley has been hosting games since 2007, and Twickenham has also hosted NFL games in the past.
There was talk of the NFL becoming the main tenant of the Olympic Stadium, before West Ham moved in. There have also been discussions about having an NFL team stationed in London permanently, but the logistics and complications of that mean there are no firm plans yet.
When are NFL in London 2018 games? What time is kick-off?
Three NFL in London matches take place this year, on Sundays 14, 21 and 28 October 2018. The match on 14 October has a 6pm kick-off, 21 October has a 2.30pm kick-off and 28 October has a 1.30pm kick-off.
Which teams are playing in NFL in London 2018?
Six NFL teams are coming over from America to play three matches in London this season:
- Oakland Raiders vs. Seattle Seahawks (14 October)
- Tennessee Titans vs. Los Angeles Chargers (21 October)
- Philadelphia Eagles (current Superbowl champions) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (28 October)
Where are NFL in London 2018 matches played?
They'll all be played at Wembley Stadium this year, as most have been since 2007. The first match of the three, between Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders on 10 October, was due to be played at Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium. However, following the news that the stadium opening has been delayed, this match has been relocated to Wembley.
So will any NFL in London matches be played at Tottenham this year?
No — bit of a sore point this one. Tottenham and the NFL came to an agreement in 2015 that once the new Spurs stadium opened in 2018, the NFL would hold two games there every year, a deal that must have been quite lucrative for Tottenham. Except it's 2018, and the opening of the new stadium has been delayed indefinitely, hence NFL games getting heaved over to Wembley for this year. Watch this space for the NFL in London 2019 matches...
How to get tickets for NFL in London 2018 matches
NFL in London season tickets, which grant access to all three matches, have now sold out. Remaining tickets for the three matches at Wembley go on sale here on Monday 10 September 2018. Prices start at £41 adult/£21 child. If you're going along to Wembley for a match, note that there are very strict bag policies in place.
NFL in London 2018 events and where to watch NFL in London
In addition to the three NFL in London matches, other NFL-themed events take place in London:
- NFL KICKOFF: Piccadilly is pedestrianised for the day for a free festival celebrating all things NFL to launch the season (which begins on 9 September in America). Themed games, mascots, a mini NFL pitch, American food and drink, competitions and live music take place on the street, while the BAFTA building at 195 Piccadilly hosts the NFL UK theatre with screenings of past matches and interviews with stars. Free, register for an NFL Event Pass, 8 September 2018
- KICK-OFF PARTY: Sports bar Riley's on Haymarket also celebrates the new season with a party, including a new NFL themed menu. It's screening the most recent Superbowl again, and will then be screening all matches, every Sunday until the end of the season. Free, book ahead, 8 September then every Sunday
- FAN MEET UPS: The pre-match UK fan meet-up on 20 October has sold out, but there are still tickets available for 13 October and 27 October. Taking place in a private room at All Star Lanes in Brick Lane, it's a chance for UK-based fans of all 32 NFL teams to get together and share their love of the game, along with bowling, karaoke, food and drink. £5.98, book ahead, 13/27 October
- SEAHAWKS FANS: Followers of the Seattle Seahawks are invited to this shindig to celebrate the first time the team has played on UK soil. Ticket includes welcome drink, finger food and a commemorative wristband. Don't hit the juice too hard though — you don't want to miss the big match the next day. Revolution (City of London), £27.54, book ahead, 13 October
- SCREENINGS: The Phoenix in Victoria is also screening the three London matches, and Nordic Bar in Fitzrovia screens every match through the season.
Find out more about NFL in London on the NFL UK website.