30 March 2017 | 19 °C

A Look Back At London In 1907

A Look Back At London In 1907

It was at the Brotherhood Church on Southgate Road, Hackney, that Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin met for the 5th Congress of the Russian Social Democratic Labour Party in 1907. The site of the now-demolished church is today home to a Tesco Metro. Other major events taking place in the city in that year included the first large procession by the suffragettes, the opening of Strand station (later to become Aldwych, and no longer a stop on the underground), and Hampstead tube station opening.

Find out more about London in 1907 below:

Elephant & Castle
Source Old London
Guy's Hospital
Source Old Pics Archive
The abandoned Aldwych underground station as it looks now. It was opened in 1907 as Strand station.
Source London
London street florist
Source Old London
Angel Underground Station, opened in 1907
Source Londonhistorian
London buses were not always red. Before 1907, different routes had different-coloured buses. Source Buzzfeed
Crystal Palace station newsagents, 1907
Source Old London
Chiswick Park & Acton Green Station, 1907
Source Old London
The Railway in Finchley, 1907
Source London Guy
Washing the streets of London
Source Amateur Casual
Hampstead tube opens, 1907
Source David Turner
Delays on the line: It was at this point that the Charing Cross branch began in earnest. Severely held up by funding problems, it finally opened in 1907 as the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway. The CCE&HR snaked from Golders Green and from Highgate (then the name for Archway station) down to Charing Cross, with an easy extension then linking it with the relative hub that was Embankment. Source Londonist
Stalin, Lenin, and Trotsky met at the now demolished Brotherhood Church on Southgate Road in Hackney for a meeting of the (banned) Russian Social Democratic Labour Party in 1907. There is a Tesco Metro on the site now. Source Buzzfeed
Tottenham Court Road station was named Oxford Street when it opened in 1907. Source Londonist
Between 1895-1900, London had the world's tallest Ferris Wheel. Called the Great Wheel, it stood at Earls Court until it was demolished in 1907.
Source Tim Dunn
On 22 June 1907, the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway opened, it eventually became the Northern line
Source Lt Museum
Open-sided sightseeing bus, 1907
Source Londonhistorian
Taxis in Knightsbridge
Source Old London
A London policeman, 1907
Source Rob Baker
A Knightsbridge motor taxi rank
Source Ibtimes
Aldwych Tube Station: Opened in 1907, but closed for the duration of the second world war it was used to hide and transport museum pieces, and provide shelter from aerial bombardments. It reopened after the war, then closed permanently in 1994 due to lack of use. Since then it's been used as a film location, and you can occasionally tour it. Source Acidcow
LGOC winged wheel trademark on bus, 1907
Source Ltmcollection
Knightsbridge station, 1907
Source Old London

Last Updated 20 March 2017