London Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2015 kicks off at Somerset House later this month. Access to the super glam events and catwalks is largely restricted to celebrities and fashion industry insiders. But there's plenty going on around town to appeal to fashionistas, and even those who wouldn't normally pay much attention to fashion at all. Here are nine LFW-related happenings you should consider, most of them under a tenner.
1. FASHION POWER TEA: W Hotel in Leicester Square has a special afternoon tea inspired by Design Museum's exhibition Women Fashion Power. The menu features sweet treats influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel, Lady Gaga and Elizabeth I, all served on a hand-crafted stand shaped into a pair of heels. Until 26 April, £27.50pp, daily 2pm-5pm
2. VINTAGE FAIR: Clerkenwell Vintage Fashion Fair takes place at Old Finsbury Town Hall just before the start of LFW. Over 50 traders bring the most fashionable pieces dating from the Victorian era to the 1980s: there's live music, beauty services and a tearoom. 15 February, £4, just turn up, 11am-5pm
3. CREATIVE WORKSHOPS: If you'd like to get creative and make something fashionable yourself — Drink, Shop & Do has what you're looking for. On 16 February they host a tea towel screen printing workshop led by textile designer Zeena Shah (£15, prebook, 7pm) while on 23 February you can knot yourself a bracelet or a necklace during a special knotting workshop (£12, prebook, 7pm).
4. NEW TALENTS: London College of Fashion presents its annual student show, LCFMA15 exhibition, featuring works made by graduates from the Graduate School courses. Fashion mixes with visual arts including film and photography. 18-22 February, free entry
5. EXHIBITION TOURS: On 20 February, join a highlights tour of the Thea Porter exhibition at Fashion and Textile Museum, named as one of our top 10 exhibitions to see in February (£8.80/£6.60, prebook, 1pm). If you prefer fashion photography, the Guy Bourdin exhibition at Somerset House runs 'spotlight on style' tours Wednesdays and Fridays, included in the exhibition ticket (£9/£7, prebook, 1.30pm).
6. SAMPLE SALE: If you're always looking for the latest trends to wear, then have a go at the Designer Sample Sale at Chelsea Old Town Hall. Find great designer clothing pieces and accessories at affordable prices. 21 February, £2/£1, just turn up, noon-5pm
7. FASHION TALK: The V&A is renowned for its extensive fashion collections and themed exhibitions. Join their evening talk about jewellery and fashion between 1929 and 1959 and learn more about the leading trends during these decades, as illustrated by Andrew Prince. 23 February, £15, prebook, 7pm
8. FOCUS ON CAREER: Need help developing a career in the creative industry? London College of Fashion invites graduates and aspiring fashion designers for a dedicated insider talk. A panel of leading designers share their experiences and advice on the journey from graduate to fashion pro. 26 February, free, prebook, 6-7pm
9. LONDON FASHION WEEKEND: Once the sparkle of London Fashion Week has gone, style-addicted Londoners can meet up at Somerset House again for London Fashion Weekend — the bit that allows the public in for a taste of LFW with catwalk shows, discount designer shopping, trend spotting and industry talks. 26 February-1 March, tickets start from £20, prebook suggested
London Fashion Week is at Somerset House and venues around London, 20-24 February 2015.