Like Londonist, the Wellcome Trust's headquarters at 215 Euston Road celebrated its tenth birthday in 2014. You've probably stood beneath this curving glass structure, known as the Gibbs Building — it perches over Euston Square station, a great crystal barn sandwiched by the associated Wellcome Collection and University College Hospital.
The Wellcome Trust is the world's second biggest medical research charity (after the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation). Its HQ is suitably enormous. Staff have their own bar, gymnasium and choice of two canteens. You might have seen the kitchens on an episode of Celebrity Masterchef.
We were lucky enough to get a tour of some of the areas normally out-of-bounds (even to most staff) and were shown a secret passage, rooftop views and historic basement murals. Click through the image gallery above to find out some of its secrets.
Previously in our “some people invited us up onto their exciting roof” series.
- On the roof of the Cheesegrater (2014)
- The unexpectedly retractable roof of Olympia (2014)
- The fragile roof of Victoria station (2014)
- The ever-changing roof of London Bridge station (2014)
- On top of the Truman Brewery (2014)
- Up on the roof of King’s Cross station (2013)
- Up on the roof of the Walkie Talkie (2012)