Your Sunday morning best-of-Londonist weekly round-up.
- Know the Heron Tower? Not any more you don't. It's getting a rubbish new name
- Living in London on a low income: May 2014 update
- 'Unsustainable' London housing market could be slowing down
- Congestion charge set to increase by £1.50 from 16 June
- Mayor awards first London Rental Standard (LRS) certificate this week
- Don't know your tenors from your tremolos? Here are some tips on how to get into opera in London
- For the first in our new video series, Speaking With Statues, we talk to John F Kennedy
- East London's cultural gems: a beginner's guide
- Our guide to the best musical festivals in the capital this summer
- Did you know the Victoria Line can save you minutes? Here's how
- Where to eat/drink your way through the EU in London: Part 1 and Part 2
- Another must-watch episode of Jay Foreman's Unfinished London, telling the story of the capital’s airports
Best pubs in London
We’re building a new website of the best pubs in London (mostly as voted for by Londonist readers). We still have a few areas to explore, but do take a look through the guide so far, and let us know about any scandalous omissions. This week’s additions include: Catford Constitutional Club, Station Hotel, Lord Northbrook and Dacre Arms in Lewisham; and the Draft House and Northcote in Battersea.
- The British Museum has put eight of its mummies through a CT scanner — the results are now on display
- Informative and fun: mammoth exhibition opens at Natural History Museum
- Theatrical adaptations of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies are superb
- Photography of consumption on show at the V&A
- Mamet vs Churchill at the Orange Tree Theatre.
- We sampled the vegetarian offerings at Vietnamese restaurant House of Ho
- Political art by Ai Wei Wei at Lisson Gallery
- Kevin Spacey delivers a winsome performance as Clarence Darrow at the Old Vic
Things to do
- Pick up a bargain at one of these markets or shopping events in June
- Or check out what's coming up on the art scene this month
- It's London Wine Week this week, our preview gives you more info on where you can pop your cork
- Geeky TV quizzes coming to Camden, inc. Red Dwarf, Spaced and Doctor Who
- Outdoor film? Sure. Former railway venue? Cool. Hot tubs with strangers? Alright...wait, what? Hot Tub Cinema, because...we don't know why
- For a less pruney outdoor cinema experience, try Vauxhall Summer Screen
- A D-Day party in Waterloo's Vaults, to celebrate the 70th anniversary this weekend
- Spitalfields Summer Music Festival also starts this weekend, with a variety of musical performances across multiple genres. Listen to our podcast to learn more
Or go under the sea in London …
Fancy an evening with a difference? This Friday 6 June YPlan are hosting an exclusive, after-dark event at SEA LIFE London Aquarium. Once the main crowds have left, you can chill out with the turtles and sharks and enjoy a free glass of prosecco as you meander through magical glass walkways to meet the residents within. There'll also be cocktails, gourmet food and the chance to capture your best piranha smile in the photo booth for a memento of the night.
This week’s Best of Londonist is sponsored by YPlan — Tonight's Going Out App. Tickets to the event cost £27 and are available only via YPlan, see here for more details.
Want to get this as an email? Sign up for Sunday Best here.