Image by Sinister Pictures in the Londonist Flickr pool.
- New Year’s Honours for several notable Londoners, including Margaret and Barry Mizen for their work raising awareness around youth violence; DJ and subject of Cockney rhyming slang Pete Tong; and London Underground’s David Waboso.
- Metropolitan Police civilian staff are on strike.
- Great article on the future of tube upgrades, AKA the New Tube For London.
- Meanwhile, Bombardier loses the contract to upgrade tube signalling.
- More on supermarkets in tube stations.
- Richard Rogers ain’t a fan of the suburban Crossrail station designs.
- The irrationally billed ‘world’s first multi-sensory firework display‘ is, of course, tonight. Dampness is likely to be the over-riding sensory experience.
HAPPY NEW YEAR from all at Londonist.