The grandest of London's many outdoor cinema experiences has just announced its lineup for summer. The Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House packs thousands of people into the Thames-side venue's courtyard, to gaze upon a giant screen and be aurally wrapped in surround sound.
While most outdoor cinemas rely on 1980's blockbusters and family-friendly musicals to draw a crowd, Somerset House opts for a more varied offering, with rom-coms, Bette Davis, premieres, gangster films, a Shakespeare adaptation, a western, and a Powell and Pressburger classic. But they've also found room for Gremlins 2 and Predator. Here's the line-up:
- 8 August - World premiere of Richard Curtis' About Time
- 9 August - Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
- 10 August - Mean Girls + Carrie + The Loved Ones
- 11 August - The Untouchables
- 12 August - Guys and Dolls
- 13 August - UK premiere of The Way Way Back
- 14 August - Kes
- 15 August - Throne of Blood
- 16 August - Predator + Throne of Blood
- 17 August - Badlands + Raising Arizona
- 18 August - Crazy Stupid Love
- 19 August - The Red Shoes
- 20 August - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- 21 August - UK premiere of Prince Avalanche
Screenings go ahead whatever the weather, so come prepared. Prices and times vary, so see the site for details.
Exclusive early booking for holders of a certain US credit card has already opened. Other priority bookings start Wednesday at 10am, and general tickets go on sale on Friday 24 May.