This Week In London’s History
- Monday – 28 January 1807: The gas lamps on Pall Mall are lit, making it the first street in the world to be illuminated in such a fashion.
- Tuesday – 29 January 1976: Twelve IRA bombs explode in the area around Oxford Street, injuring a taxi driver and starting several small fires.
- Wednesday – 30 January 1969: The Beatles perform live for the last time ever, on the roof of the Apple Records building in Mayfair.
- Thursday – 31 January 1609: Guy Fawkes and his fellow conspirators are hanged at Old Palace Yard in Westminster.
- Friday – 1 February 1444: The steeple of St. Paul’s is damaged when it is struck by lightning.
London Quote Of The Week
I have passed all my days in London, until I have formed as many and intense local attachments as any of you mountaineers can have done with dead nature.