- Greenwich Comedy Festival presents big name comics in a big top.
- The Proms 2012 begin!
- Rushes Soho Shorts Festival presents official screenings and workshops at the ICA plus a new film makers market on Sunday at BAFTA.
- Hard Rock Calling hits Hyde Park with Soundgarden, Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon (tickets from £55.75).
- Watch films under the Westway at Portobello Pop Up Cinema.
- Rioja Tapas Fantasticas sets up in Potters Fields Park, Southwark on Saturday and Sunday celebrating Rioja wine and Spanish food (free entry).
- Experience Saturday Night Fever in the Old Vic Tunnels.
- A procession of superheroes through Lower Marsh for Waterloo Carnival happens between 12-5pm (free).
- The Big Dance Bus will be at Worlds End Place on the Kings Road for fun performances and workshops between 4.30-8.30pm (free).
- Last chance to Surf in the City (free).
- Chow down at the Street Feast Market, Dalston.
- Celebrate Bastille Day in Bankside with the Waiters’ Race, Park Street Fair, Borough Market, street theatre, cheese and music all day (free entry).
- Or head for Chelsea Physic Garden for the Ricard Petanques Garden Party from 11am (free entry).
- Or take your cheese to Canada Square Park, Canary Wharf for an afternoon of French music acts from 2-7pm (free).
- Shoreditch Festival kicks off with the Hoxton Street Party from 10am till late (free).
- InTransit’s Portobello Road Arts Day transforms the famous street with street theatre creatures, puppet shows, music and dance, feisty historic suffragettes and interactive art from 1-4pm (free).
- There’s Something Happening For Kids at The Place with a full day of dance performances and activities specially for children including silent disco and all day Weirdy Beardies hair salon from 10am (single ticket £6, group of 4 £16).
- The Big Dance hits Trafalgar Square from 3pm (free).
- Explore Stanmore Common and discover their Bluebell Project with a family friendly walk at 10.30am, meeting at the Stanmore Common car park off Warren Lane (free).
- Swing by the Soho Festival for live music and entertainment, Museum of Soho, food and drink in St Anne’s Gardens, Wardour Street between 12-6pm (free entry).
- InTransit turns Holland Park playful with Sandpit – new games from Hide&Seek on the Orangery Lawn from 2-5.30pm (free).
- It’s Brazil Day for the Big Dance in Wandsworth Park from 2-11pm (free).
- Shoreditch Festival puts on the Shoreditch Bark Dog Show in the Shoreditch Park amphitheatre from 1pm, judging at 2pm (free).
- Take a mural walk round Brixton at 2pm, meet Stockwell tube (free).
Other good stuff:
- Our latest theatre reviews and art reviews
- Books and spoken word events
- Your week in geek
- Things to do for a fiver or less
- Our pick of comedy gigs plus a guide to watching live comedy in London
- Free things to do in London
- Museums and Galleries
Photo by McTumshie via the Londonist Flickrpool.