- The London 2012 Olympics begin! From Saturday, you can watch live sporting action on big screens in Victoria Park, Hyde Park, in Potters Fields, at Walthamstow Town Square and General Gordon Square, Woolwich, on Blackheath, at London Pleasure Gardens, on Camden Beach and at House of Nations at Tower of London and Kings Cross. Some of the National Houses around town will also be showing live coverage, as is Pride House.
- Exhibition Road Show begins its 9 day festival of music, culture, performance and art in South Kensington (free).
- The Book Club open their Basecamp in the Leonard Street Car Park, Shoreditch, “an outdoor bar, kitchen and playground for adults” for the duration of the Olympics, complete with big screens and a social athletics club, open daily till late (free entry).
- Deptford X 2012 contemporary arts festival starts on Friday with public art, open studios, walks, football, an art quiz, commissioned projects and more until 12 August.
- Hang out at Ealing Jazz Festival in Walpole Park from 2-10.30pm, Friday to Sunday (adults £5, under 12s free).
- Gandini Week means juggling performances and workshops for all the family in Theatre Square outside the National Theatre (free).
- Listen out for the bells just after 8am.
- Enjoy a quirky lunchtime concert at St Barts and visit the Golden Honey Feast in Paternoster Square on the final day of City of London Festival 12.30-2pm (free).
- Join a pre-Olympic party at Canning Town Caravanserai between 4-7pm as they celebrate the opening of their South Gate (free).
- Watch the Olympics Opening Ceremony! There are still tickets left for the big BT Live Hyde Park concert (£66 each), it’s free entry to the Victoria Park live site and Rich Mix host an Alternative Opening Ceremony Party (£10). Coverage starts on the BBC from 9pm and we’ll be watching it with you on Twitter.
- It could be a great night to go to Lates at the V&A and Natural History Museum from 6.30-10pm (free).
- Wigmore Hall puts on a late night concert – hear The Prince Consort vocal ensemble sing Schubert from 10pm (£12/10).
- The 2012 UK Air Guitar Finals take place at The Dome, Tufnell Park from 8pm-3am (entry £12/10 inc. charitable donation).
- Watch Olympic Cycling with the Men’s Road Race from 10am – check out the route (free to watch).
- Bouncy Stonehenge is on Paddington Rec, Maida Vale (free).
- It’s Billy Bragg’s Big Busk on the riverside outside the Royal Festival Hall from 4pm (free).
- Drop by the musical showcase East Beats featuring local talent and new music inspired by the Olympics at Brady Arts Centre, Hanbury Street E1 between 6-9pm (free).
- Go to the Tate Modern Blackout and explore the gallery with one of Olafur Eliasson’s Little Suns from 10.15pm-midnight (free entry/lamp £16.50).
- Watch Olympic Cycling with the Women’s Road Race from noon (free to watch).
- Bouncy Stonehenge is in Cheam Park, Sutton (free).
- Support fledgling food market, Harringay Market between 11am-3pm.
- Latin American festival Latidos brings live bands, dancing, authentic food and more to Shaka Zulu, Camden from 3pm-midnight (£8 adv, £10 on door).
Other good stuff:
- Our latest theatre reviews and art reviews
- Books and spoken word events
- Your week in geek
- Things to do for a fiver or less
- Our pick of comedy gigs plus a guide to watching live comedy in London
- Free things to do in London
- Museums and Galleries
Photo by Matt from London