- Longing for warmer climes? Kew’s Tropical Extravaganza is in the Princess of Wales conservatory for the next month (general admission £13.90, under 17s free).
- Watch Student Film Festival screenings at London College of Communication, Elephant & Castle (£5 or less, or buy a festival pass).
- David Lynch month at BFI Southbank screens Blue Velvet, Dune and The Elephant Man this weekend.
- Try a beginners street photography workshop (£20)
- Follow the chewing gum art trail at Trinity Buoy Wharf (free)
- The South London Black Music Archive (remember their map?) host a panel discussion at Tate Modern 6.45-8pm (free but booking recommended).
- “Cool as a penguin’s lunchbox” try Barbequtie at Highgate’s Boogaloo (£3).
- Can you handle the 2012 Waitangi Day Circle Line Pub Crawl?
- The Shhh Festival of quiet music happens at the Gallery Cafe, Bethnal Green from 3-10pm (£7.50 early bird or £10 general admission).
- Take a Dickens walk around Holborn (free)
- Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair is at Old Spitalfields Market from 11am-5pm (free entry).
- Write Queer London host an afternoon of Gay Domesticity at the Geffrye Museum from 1pm (free but book your place quick).
- London Rollergirls play their first home bout of 2012 at Brompton Hall, Earl’s Court from 4-9pm (£14 adv).
- Experience vintage Bollywood with Bollywood Bitesized at Rich Mix from 6.30pm, with a club night after the films (screenings + club £9, just club night @ 10pm £5).
- The dragon comes to east London with Chinese New Year celebrations at Rich Mix (free).
- Treat your ‘Little Bookniks’ to a day of wordy fun with stories, film, music, puppetry, poetry, a mystery-object-discovery-tour and more at the Jewish Museum (some activities free).
- Spend the day volunteering with BTCV at Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park.
- Get retro homeware at the Vintage Home and Interiors Fair at Cecil Sharp House from 11am-5.30pm (£2 entry).
- Play with a big bouncy ball in Hackney from 1pm
- It’s the Grimaldi Memorial Service at Holy Trinity Church, Dalston at 3pm, followed by a clown show for the kids in the church hall.
- Watch the Royal Greenwich fireworks at 6pm (free).
- Find a Superbowl party to suit you.
Other good stuff:
- Things to do for a fiver or less
- Museums and Galleries
- Books and spoken word
- Sci/tech/nerd stuff
- Theatre, dance, opera, classical music and exhibitions
- Cabaret, parties and alt-performance
- Stand up and sketch comedy
- Gigs to go to
What did we miss? Let us know in the comments.