The Weekend post is brought to you in partnership with MyDestination.comAll weekend
- Art, music, food, art, Olympic park, coracles, artists and some more art at Hackney Wicked
- Nostalgic multi-decade retromania across music, fashion and food at Southbank Centre with Vintage.
- Mallet, ball and bicycle action at the free London Open Bike Polo Tournament on Hackney Downs
- Watch competitors swim in Royal Victoria Docks for the Virgin Active Triathlon at Excel
- Battersea Park becomes a gastronomic heartland for Battersea Foodie Festival
- Watch films on fridges. Well not actually on fridges, but that’s nitpicking.
- It’s the last weekend of Kensington and Chelsea’s inTRANSIT festival – we loved And The Birds Fell From The Sky and this weekend you can join a mystery musical tour of the borough with 45 RPM for just a fiver.
- Ealing Jazz Festival promises a weekend of big band favourites, funky latin flavours, jazz/funk fusion, soulful grooves, vocal gymnastics and more in Walpole Park. Entry is £4 adults, kids free.
- Visit the free musical evening at the art installation in the old newsagent’s shop at 76 Chatsworth Road.
- The V&A Summer Camp series of Lates starts tonight with a focus on the design process with music, installations, talks and workshops. Plus the Madjeski garden is an awesome place to hang out on a summer’s evening. Free admission and open till 10pm.
- It’s a SLAM Last Friday – experience Bell Ringer, a sonic installation in Dilston Grove, a derelict church on the edge of Southwark Park, Peckham. Sound and dance performance at 8.30pm.
- The cycle hire scheme is 1 year old – take a Boris bike out to celebrate!
- Camley Street Natural Park hosts the Capital Growth Camden launch with families and food growers welcome to come along for a pizza lunch, workshops and sustainability advice. Free, 11am-4pm.
- The family fun day at the Royal Institution looks at waves – and makes a massive one out of sweets. 11am-4pm, drop in, adults £10, kids £5.
- It’s Butterfly Day on Harringay’s Railway Fields between 12-4pm, great for kids (big and small).
- Pop along to the summer garden part at Spitalfields pub the Water Poet for an afternoon in the spirit of the roaring twenties. Free entry, midday till late.
- Hip hop and comedy collide at Rich Mix tonight with a new night, Dong. Includes hip hop karaoke! 7.30pm, £10 adv, £15 on the door.
- As recommended by Spoonfed, the Nice Up! Summer Soundclash at the Big Chill House, Kings Cross is free entry with a ‘monster line up’ from 8pm.
- If there ain’t enough bunting at Vintage head for Old Street’s cycle cafe Look Mum No Hands for the Great British Bunt Off and summer fete. Make bunting, eat cream teas, go on a wildlife bike ride. From 10am.
- There’s an eco-rally and a free family friendly sustainable transport show on the Mall from 10am. Lancaster House will host the Start Pop-up Restaurant, serving sustainable food.
- There’s a classic horror double bill at the Roxy Bar and Screen. Films start at 3pm, entry £5.
Other good stuff:
- Lit and spoken word from the Book Grocer
- Sci/tech/nerd stuff in Week in Geek
- Shows and exhibitions opening and closing in Arts Ahead
- Things to do in London on the Cheap
- What’s on at Museums and Galleries
- Where to find the zingiest cabaret
- What’s funny in stand up and sketch comedy
The Weekend post is brought to you in partnership with MyDestination.com
My Destination relies on the power of local knowledge, with on-the-ground local experts providing the inside scoop on everything from where to stay in style to where to dine-out on a budget. So if it’s hotels in London you’re after, shopping, or London’s wide variety of restaurants, the network of destinations MyDestination covers will provide all the information you need. With over 100 sites dedicated to individual destinations, offering a vast wealth of travel information as well as locally exclusive deals, My Destination is accelerating into the global travel market at a phenomenal rate.
This is a particularly exciting time for My Destination as we are in the process of re-branding the company to make it even more professional and even more user friendly. For example, all our destination guides will now come under the umbrella URL of MyDestination.com. So for example, instead of MyLondonInfo.com, the new URL will be MyDestination.com/London.
Another development is the launch of our hotel booking engine. This is a huge step towards our ultimate goal of turning My Destination into the first online one-stop-shop for travel.