As the Spanish forward moves from Liverpool to Chelsea for a British record of £50 million, we take a whimsical look at what the Blues might otherwise have spent their readies on.
- 2.1 million adult entries into the London Dungeon — equivalent to the population of Vancouver, Kosovo or the Canary Islands. Although maybe they could negotiate a group discount.
- 1000 clean-ups after student protests
- 347.4 more years of Boris Johnson at his current salary
- 31.25 new Routemasters
- 29 years of service from commentator Andy Gray on his former Sky salary
- 28 years of New Year's fireworks
- 2.6 AcelorMittal Orbits
- 2 cross-river cable cars
- 1 Damien Hirst crystal skull
- 1 royal wedding
And, of course, the lion's share of funding cuts to any of London's local councils.
Please add any further suggestions below.